[mdmars_members] Re: Question about the Byonics Tinytrac 4

  • From: John AAR3CK / AAM3MD <aar3ck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mdmars_members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 17:51:58 -0400

Ya, never know these days, Gary.  Seems like everything is made in China, including this "IBM" brand keyboard I'm typing on now!

Here's the link to the web site for those who are not familiar with this unit.  Company is located in Las Vegas but that's all I know from the Internet.

http://www.byonics.com/

The KISS TNC firmware has been around since January of 2008.  I am not endorsing this nor do I know anything else about it.  That's what prompted me to ask.  It caught my eye because of its relatively low cost, small size and only draws about 40 ma.  I was considering the mobile / deployment possibilities.

Anyway, appreciate everyone's inputs and insights.  If anybody has a KAM+ they know of for sale, cheap, please let me know.  Nothing further from this end but comments are always welcome.

73,

John  AAR3CK

gary.shipley@xxxxxxx wrote:

How much ya wanna bet its made in China and has an imbedded Trojan Horse thatll compromise our comms ?  :)

From: John AAR3CK / AAM3MD <aar3ck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [mdmars_members] Question about the Byonics Tinytrac 4
To: mdmars_members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, September 7, 2009, 8:54 PM

Good evening to all,

Thought I'd check and see if anyone out there is using the Byonics TinyTrak4 as a packet TNC.  It looks like it has the capability and seems to get decent reviews, but there's nothing like talking to someone who is directly familiar with it.  It caught my attention because it is small and relatively inexpensive.  Any comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance and 73,

John  AAR3CK

Web Site: http://mdarmymars.home.comcast.net/~mdarmymars/index.htm

List Serve Administrator:  John aar3ck@xxxxxxxxxxx