[mdmars_members] Re: //MARS R/ AFTER ACTION REPORT - HURRICANE IRENE and commentary

  • From: pudgeforrester@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: mdmars_members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 14:24:26 -0400 (EDT)

 Good morning Group,
I decided to forgo the usual AAR and provide comments instead.

Left home and drove 90 miles to Maryland Emergency Management Agency near
Reisterstown, MD early Saturday morning as part of the 1600 - 2200Z MARS team.
We had WL2K and VHF, MT63 and voice HF operational, and also found ourselves
operating the RACES VHF station.

Home for some sleep and back at the site at 1000Z on Sunday morning for another
6 hour shift.

Because of my soon to be previous position I am on a first name basis with some
of those at MEMA.  I can say they were impressed with our performance and want
to keep us as partners.

1. Due to budget restraints some MEMA service contracts have been discontinued.
 Therefore it might be valuable for us as volunteers to perform periodic
equipment and antenna checks.

2. In my other email I suggested that all MD/DC MARS members should obtain MEMA
credentials.  These photo ID's would probably come in handy for other emergency
and drill events.

3. There is a good high end Yaesu HF rig there that I'm certain could be set up
as a MARS station.  Then perhaps a more permanent HF antenna can be installed
to replace the temporary one installed.

4. Also wondering if we could set up a 440 link to control a remote base.

5. It turns out the so-called "bad" CAP VHF antenna belongs to MEMA and not CAP
so if we can get it up and running we can claim it.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

God bless,
Pudge AAR3RF