[mdmars_members] Cascade Repeater

  • From: J Sears <aat3ok@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AIG-2 <mdmars_members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 12:12:16 -0700 (PDT)

Ok,
Just a quick note to let you know what is going on with the repeater. Iin the
last week or so we have been monitoring the Cascade repeater.  I now have a
digital vox recorder installed on my computer and have it listening 24/7.
Hopefully this will help us identify some of the interfering stations on
frequency.

On Tuesday morning AAR3FG and I took a trip up to Cascade and sat on the bluff
for about an hour or so and never once heard the interference.  Go figure.

I have talked with the frequency manager at Andrews and told him about the
interference that is occurring on the frequency and asked for his help in
trying to locate it if it is coming from on his facility.  He has turned on his
analyzer and is scrutinizing the frequency.  I informed him that I did not know
for sure it was coming from the base but only that it was on a heading that
took it over the base. He said he would get back to me in a few days after he
had chance to do some investigating.  He offered to have us come on to the base
and track the pulse signal should it happen that that signal was emanating from
the base.

He also told me that Dahlgren, VA was also coordinated for that frequency as
well.  Listening to what Gary has told me and drawing from my experience of
some 25 years ago I now believe that it is possible the push to talk signals
(the dispatcher and school type of comms) may be coming from Dahlgren and Gary
is picking it up because it is a ducting phenomenon. This tracks because I have
seen data that shows that some signals that are the product of ducting be
picked up on  beam headings as much as 80 or 90 degrees off the true heading.

I have also talked with AAR3BK and he is going to talk to his friend that works
with a company that installs repeaters at site C and see if he knows of anyone
using an inverted speech system at that site.  I am reasonably sure that it is
not a DOD or even a federal government component that is using this
transmitter… because all of them have long since gone to either digital voice
or digital encryption for security reasons… this leaves companies and local
government agencies.

Anyone else that wants this sound card vox recorder please let me know, you can
never have too many ears on the frequency.. what one misses another one might
pick up.

Jim

P.S. we still need beam headings on the 11sec  pulse on the repeater in put.