[mdmars_members] Re: Amateur Radio club and MARS at the American Legion

  • From: bmcpherson73@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: mdmars_members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 05:01:14 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks Jim,
Here is some additional information from the American Legion web site:

"Posts interested in establishing an amateur-radio communications station at their post can contact k9tal@xxxxxxxxxx for details.

To join The American Legion Amateur Radio Club just send your name, call sign, address and Legion/Auxiliary/SAL membership number to: k9tal@xxxxxxxxxx.

You will receive a colorful membership card by mail. Your club membership will remain active as long as your Legion or Legion family membership is up to date."

You said to let you know if you are a Legion member in Maryland. What if I am a member of a post in another state? Doesn't that count?

This is a great initiative as it may give us a permanent presence somewhere, and besides, the food is good there. Thanks for your efforts

Bruce AAT3TW

On 06/29/11, J Sears<aat3ok@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On May 4th and 5th, 2011 the National Executive Committee of the American Legion in Indianapolis, Indiana passed Resolution No.11 establishing The American Legion Amateur Radio Club.

This evening John AAA3MD and I met with the House Committee of American Legion Post 223 in Sykesville with a request to start a local amateur radio club and establish a station at the at the post.

We have explained to the House committee about the need for 125-150 sq ft of space in a room that can be locked to prevent unauthorized access to the transmitters.

The house committee seemed interested in our proposal and promised to present our request to the Executive committee in August. If the Executive committee likes the proposal we must present it at the general membership meeting (probably the third Wednesday of August).

Why should MARS care?

Well, because MARS will be a big part of the presence at the post AND that gives us an OFFICIAL status in the post. Believe me when I tell you that this would not be possible without the National Post resolution. What we get out of this is a place to meet, and a sponsor or sorts.

What does the Legion post get?

They get help to meeting a requirement to support DHS, Emergency communications/preparedness in the community.

What can you do to help?

If you are a veteran please come join American Legion Post 223. If you are not a veteran but your father was you are eligible to join the Sons of the American Legion. There are some specific date requirements for military service for both organizations. Talk to me and I will find out if you qualify.

If you belong to a different post in Maryland please drop me a note and let me know which post. When I go before general membership in August I would like to have a complete list of who belongs so they do not think they are being invaded by outsiders.

Remember to gain access to the station on you own you will have to be a Legion member. Besides if the post is going to support us…. Shouldn’t we support them?

Oh, Before I forget it.. if you belong to the Sykesville post already please plan to come to the

August general membership meeting so show your support.

Jim AAT3OK

Maryland / DC Web Site: http://www.mdcarmymars.org/ Virginia / West Virginia Web Site: http://members.cox.net/aam3ava/ Region 3 Web Site: http://www.rgn3armymars.org/ List Serve Administrator: John aar3ck@xxxxxxxxxxx