[Maul of America] Oscar Report

  • From: GCCR <robustoman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: maulofamerica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 21:28:41 -0500 (EST)

I didn't see all of the Academy Awards, but I'll offer my opinion
anyway...I watched the beginning and the end. I caught some of the
middle as I channel surfed back and forth during commercial breaks
between "Patton", "Battlestar Galactica", and "Tora, Tora, Tora."
- From what I saw, I thought Ellen DeGeneres was a fine host. I've
never been a big Billy Crystal fan. Chris Rock and Jon Stewart were
mediocre. Then again, my favorite host was David Letterman, so what do
I know?
- The only Liberal "moment" I'll whine about is the Al Gore love-in.
First, apparently no one in Hollywood can get over the 2000 election
(Gore lost - move on). Second, does anyone outside the entertainment
industry think Al Gore should run again?
- As usual, the broadcast was was wayyyy too long (four hours). The
show planners face the same dilemma that the NFL has to contend with
over the Super Bowl half-time show -- do you design it for the people
in the seats OR the people at home? What works for one doesn't work for
the other.But, if they really tried, the Academy could get the show
down to around 2 hours (or so) by not wasting time on nonsense.First
off, lose all the musical numbers.Second, allot each of the 25 awards 3
minutes. Give the presenters 45 seconds to read the nominees then
announce the winner. Give the winners 2 minutes and 15 seconds to walk
up, accept the award, and read their bleeding-heart milquetoast speech.
Period.That's break down into:- 75 mins for awards.- 25 mins for
commercials- 20-30 mins to divide up for whatever "special" stuff they
want to doI'll bet the ratings would improve.
- I found Jerry Seinfeld's movie theatre riff funny and ironic. His
comments about the "overpriced, oversized" pop-corn and candy got big
laughs. My guess is that this audience hasn't bought snacks in a
theatre in YEARS. Also, selling "overpriced" amenities is how theatres
break even due to the "overblown" costs of the film industry. Like I
said, ironic.
- Finally, I think the "fix" was in for Martin Scorsese. Wasn't it too
coincidental that he got his award from his old buddies Francis Ford
Coppola, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg? I was happy for him, but I
haven't seen "The Departed" yet, so I'm not sure if it was worthy
effort or just a make-good for previous slights (I hated "The Aviator"
and "Gangs of New York").

--
Posted By GCCR to Maul of America at 2/26/2007 09:17:00 PM