[MASC] Marine Conservation - Diving Earth Day

  • From: Pedro Viegas <pedro.viegas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: masc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 00:38:17 +1000

Good day everyone
I am planning to organize a Dive Against Debris event within the Project
AWARE.

This month will have Earth Day in the calendar and the idea is to do a
weekend diving session raising awareness, do a few cleanup dives and also
allowing the broader community to join in (not just already hardcore
divers).

I am a member of MONUC but want to include all divers and dive clubs in
Victoria to be involved in the event
The idea so far is to do a dive where:
1) a lot of people (families, tourists...) go in the weekend
2) there is usually lots of rubbish in the sea (mostly because of the above
reason)

I am currently talking with a Dive Operator which is willing to join in,
advertise and bring a mobile unit with cylinders, suits, masks, fins... the
whole works in order to give a chance to anyone that is not a diver or does
not have their own equipment to do a try dive and start in the underwater
world, raising more awareness and reaching out to the general public, this
is something we could have from the clubs as well giving the opportunity to
members that do not own their own equipment to have a go and join a clean
up dive. They will also bring PROJECT AWARE banners... hopefully the AMCS
will also join us in the event.

I would really like to have MASC and MONUC clubs there, giving the
opportunity to all our members to join in a Project AWARE event, *actively
contributing for marine conservation.*

This is the plan outline so far, the idea was to use the first weekend
after earth day, but since it falls into ANZAC day we will make it the
weekend after, May 2nd, so everyone can join and dive in or around Flinders
- an amazing site, not very often dived, with lots of families/tourists
visiting (great for outreach) and with amazing stuff to see underwater -
Leafy Sea Dragon!!!

Please let me know if this sounds interesting to you, I would very much
like to involve you and other diving clubs as well - the more the merrier

Pedro A. Viegas
Palaeontology Technical Officer - ARC Discovery Project
Teaching Associate - School of Earth, Atmosphere and Environment

Monash University
Clayton Campus
EAE School - Building 28
9 Rainforest Walk