[MASC] Marine Conservation Activity - Cleaning Up Our Act, Earth Day

  • From: Pedro Viegas <pedro.viegas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pedro Viegas <pedro.viegas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 00:29:07 +1000

Dear all
A big thank you to all that have already replied stating your desire to
participate and encouraging for such events to go ahead and take place! Now
lets make it happen!!!

On the 2nd of May we will be having a great Diving and Conservation
weekend, an event withing the Dive Against Debris - Project AWARE where
everyone is invited to come along and join us, do a few cleanup dives and
raise awareness not only for us (divers) but for the broader community on
how important our seas are, what are the pressing issues at the moment and
how we can contribute for a positive change to our environment and ours and
others actions.

*The outline idea:*

- To give the opportunity to all divers and non-divers in Victoria to
come together and join us in this event.
- ALL of you and your friends are welcome, 2nd of May, 9h30, Flinders
Pier - Map: https://plus.google.com/105246277389145675648/about?gl=au&hl=en
- To promote marine conservation, raise awareness on fragile marine
ecosystems and pollutants.
- To promote diving as a fun, interesting and effective activity that can
positively contribute to a better world.
- Allow those who have never tried diving or do not have all their gear
to join such an event.
- To have FUN, clean up a beautiful dive site, have FUN, see some leafy
Sea Dragons!!!, enjoy nature, forget about emails, and most of all have
FUN!
- Hopefully we will have Project AWARE banners/outreach material in time,
this will make us more visible and intrigue families and tourists to come,
join and discover marine conservation.
- Besides all the different club gear that club member's can get, we now
also have the support of Dive2U which has provided their mobile unit to be
present at the location during the whole event with all the gear you and/or
friends might need, from fins to mask and all in between + their compressor
so you can keep on diving after morning´s tea break! They will be promoting
a series of try dives as well so literally everyone is welcome!!

In sum: Arrive, gear up and dive! - Repeat

*What we still need:*

- Several of you have already offered to help with the diving and
outreach/public education, we would like to have a few more volunteers so
we can take turns so everyone can go for a well deserved dive.
- Ideas, secret "really dirty spot" you always wanted to clean up with a
dozen other divers, lets us have all those tips (the dirtier the better!)
- Contact your clubs and friends, spread the word and contact us for any
inquiries.

See you all in the water!

Pedro A. Viegas
Palaeontology Technical Officer - ARC Discovery Project
Teaching Associate - School of Earth, Atmosphere and Environment

Monash University
Clayton Campus
EAE School - Building 28
9 Rainforest Walk