[marc-announce] MARC Meeting Coming Up This Thursday

  • From: "Jan L. Peterson" <jan.l.peterson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: marc-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 22:41:25 -0700

Greetings, MARC Members and Friends of MARC!

Hey, radio fans, this week we will be starting a new focused training program for beginner/new/prospective hams.  Our first class will be taught by our own Dan (N7XDL) and will cover configuring and using your radio.  Have you ever wondered what all those little buttons, knobs, and displays do and mean on your radio?  This is your chance to find out!  Make sure to bring your radio... Dan will be talking primarily about the Yaesu VX-6R and FT-60R, the Baefeng series (pretty much any Baofeng handheld radio but particularly the UV-5R and similar), and the TYT TH-350.  If you've got something different, don't let that stop you from bringing your radio... someone will help you figure it out.

The meeting will be held on February 2nd (Thursday) at 6:30 PM Mountain time at the Murray Fire Station #81, located at 4848 S Box Elder St (35 W).  We will have a brief "check-in" net prior to the meeting on our club repeater at 223.96 MHz with a tone of 103.5 Hz at 6:00.

I will have a Zoom session running for the duration of the meeting.  If you are unable to join us in person, you may still be able to get some use out of joining us via Zoom.  The meeting info is below:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81028901047?pwd=WllmQ3RnN09kMnpnd0UzQXBiNWtidz09 <https://www.google.com/url?q=https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81028901047?pwd%3DWllmQ3RnN09kMnpnd0UzQXBiNWtidz09&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw0isdHekqb7YgaaO538GY46>
Meeting ID: 810 2890 1047
Passphrase:  amateur

If you need a dial-in number for the meeting or if you want a Google Calendar invite, let me know.

NOTE:  coming up in March on the 9th, we will be doing a hands on workshop on cable termination.  This means how to put connectors on cables!  Several people will bring tools and equipment needed for cable termination.  We'll be doing at least Anderson Power Poles, Coax (likely PL-259, maybe BNC as well), and Cat-5 (i.e. ethernet cable).  If you want to learn how to terminate something not listed here, please e-mail me and let me know so I can find someone who is willing to help you.

If YOU know how to terminate various cables, please plan on bringing your equipment and let me know what kinds of cable you are willing to work with.  For example, I can demonstrate and help with Anderson Power Poles, Type-F coax connectors (like for cable TV, not for amateur radio), and Cat-5 ethernet cable.

Be advised, if you want to terminate a particular cable, you will need to bring some cable and the appropriate connectors... I'll send out a list of some options in the next few days.

73 de KD7ZWV
  -jan-

--
Jan L. Peterson (KD7ZWV)