[magnolia-all] EMERGENCY WORK DAY THIS SATURDAY

  • From: Deidra <deidracharise@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Magnolia School Yahoo Group <themagnoliaschool@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, magnolia-all@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 07:48:31 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you to everyone that helped yesterday. And thank you to everyone that
offered. If you feel the need to help, Olivia will be at the school on
SATURDAY, MAY 10, FROM 10:00 A.M. TO 2:00 P.M. to dust, paint and continue with
repairs.

  Yesterday morning, Thursday, May 8, Olivia arrived and found The Magnolia
School had been vandalized. The bus had two broken windows. The yellow room at
the middle school had a broken door with glass all over the floor, two computer
monitors were damaged, two laptop computer and Irwin's mixer were stolen, the
fire extinguishers were sprayed all over the building and mostly on the desk
top computers. Whoever did this did not get into the elementary school,
however, the fan blades on the deck were broken, the doors were damaged and
lights were smashed. There was trash all over the deck and paint on the
playground. The police were able to get some good finger and shoe prints and
hope to have some leads soon.

  Obviously our entire community was upset by this display of anger and
violence. we feel very fortunate that the damage was not greater than it was.
The students, teachers and parents were very energized and pulled together to
clean, repair and secure the school. The students spent class time talking
about these events and their feelings. Sharon and Teresa already had a field
trip planned to deliver "peace" pies to Congressment Boyd's office this Friday,
May 9th, with a note asking for his support in establishing a National
Department of Peace. We feel this is especially needed hnow as an event that
can help with the healing process.