[macvoiceover] Re: video formats

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Macvoiceover Email list <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 22:39:37 -0600

Actually, I think if you look at the menu for a file you want to convert under
finder as the directions indicate, you will find this is not just for audio. In
fact one of the choices is "audio only" which would not be necessary if it were
for audio files only.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable to You, Lord,
my rock and my Redeemer.
(Psalm 19:14 HCSB)

On Nov 30, 2015, at 10:07 PM, Maria Chapman <bubbygirl1972@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

HI.

this seems to be for converting audio? I’m wanting to convert videos that
have been copied from DVD’s to Mp4 so I can put them on an iPhone.

thanks
Maria

On 30 Nov 2015, at 6:28 pm, Cheryl Homiak <cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I thought I had posted this to the list but can't find so I am pasting in
the article I read. I've done this and it works but I don't know if it
covers the file types you want to convert.

How to Convert and Encode Audio Files with Mac OS X Finder
By Jim Tanous on October 22, 2013 at 2:09 AM • @mggjim

There are several options for encoding or converting audio files in OS X,
including iTunes, QuickTime, and third party software. But OS X also
includes a handy AAC encoder built in to Finder. Here’s how to convert your
audio files with just two clicks in OS X Lion and beyond.

First, note that this method is somewhat limited compared to other audio
converters. It can only accept AIFF, AIFC, Sd2f, CAFF, or WAVE files and can
only output to four AAC presets. However, these presets cover a range of
uses and should accommodate most Mac users who manage their music in AAC
formats.

Once you’re ready to proceed, find your audio files in Finder. You can
select either a single file or multiple files for a batch conversion. Next,
right-click (Command-click) on the selected file(s) and choose Encode
Selected Audio Files.

How to Convert and Encode Audio in OS X Finder

Alternatively, you can select your audio files, then use the Menu Bar to
choose Finder > Services > Encode Selected Audio Files.

How to Convert and Encode Audio in OS X Finder

A window labeled “Encode to MPEG Audio” will appear and present you with a
couple of options. Choose from one of four settings: High Quality (128kbps),
iTunes Plus (256kbps), Apple Lossless, and Spoken Podcast (variable, about
64kbps for stereo).

How to Convert and Encode Audio in OS X Finder

Next, choose where you’d like the converted files to be saved. By default,
the encoder will put encoded files in the same directory as the source
files. Tip: if you want to add your encoded files to iTunes, enter the
following path as your destination and the files will be automatically added
to the iTunes database the next time you open the app.

~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Automatically Add to iTunes
Finally, you can choose to have Finder automatically delete the source file
after the audio encoding is complete. Press Continue to finalize your
settings and begin the encoding process. Most songs of average length will
take just a few seconds to encode, and you’ll be left with your desired
audio file type without having to launch an app.

The built-in audio conversion feature in OS X isn’t nearly as versatile as
other options like QuickTime, but it’s fast, simple, and will likely satisfy
the requirements of most users looking for an easy way to get audio into the
Apple-friendly AAC format.

How to Convert and Encode Audio in OS X Finder

Don’t see an “Encode Selected Audio Files” option in Finder? You may have
accidentally disabled the feature. To turn it back on, head to System
Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services and make sure that “Encode
Selected Audio Files” in the list on the right side of the window is checked.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable to You, Lord,
my rock and my Redeemer.
(Psalm 19:14 HCSB)

On Nov 29, 2015, at 10:30 PM, Maria Chapman <bubbygirl1972@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi. I would love this info.

thanks.
On 29 Nov 2015, at 5:15 pm, Cheryl Homiak <cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You can do this right on your Mac in finder. I think i posted this here
recently so you might look in the archives. But I will see if I can find
it and repost it when I come home from church tomorrow - I mean later
today!

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable to You, Lord,
my rock and my Redeemer.
(Psalm 19:14 HCSB)

On Nov 28, 2015, at 11:13 PM, Maria Chapman <bubbygirl1972@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

HI. I would like to convert video files to a format that can be played
on the iPhone. I have some movies copied from a dvd and would like to
convert it to mp4 in order to put it on an iPhone.

Hope this makes sense?

Maria

On 29 Nov 2015, at 6:33 am, Patrick Neazer <patrickneazer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Maria and all:

I do not know if anyone has attempted to answer your question. If so, my
apologies for arriving late.

Let me begin by answering your second question first. If you have a mac
… and I am guessing that you do, you can use the onboard converter on
the mac if you are wanting to perform simple conversions of files such
as converting a file to play on your mac or if you desire to convert a
file given to you into audio only. if you are desiring to convert dvd
files … for example … into audio … you will need something like
handbreak. so, before I start wandering down the path of way way way too
much information, did you have an idea of what types of files you were
considering converting?

Answering your second question sets up this answer. VLC plays pretty
much any file … which I am certain you know already. so, it will play
quicktime files which traditionally are mac files and it will play
windows media files as well. if you have files on your computer that you
want to stream to your phone … you can obtain the vlc streaming app and
play files on your computer which will stream to your phone.

again, this might sound confusing to you … it would be confusing to me
without my first cup of tea :). if it does, again, some clarity may come
from it if you could provide an example of what you would like to do.

If any of this information proves useful, please let us know. And, if
not, please let us know as well :).

take good care and I wish you enough.

Patrick
On Nov 28, 2015, at 6:18 AM, Maria Chapman <bubbygirl1972@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

HI. wondering what video format the iPhone will play? I have vlc.
Will I be able to play mp4? Speaking of which does anyone know of an
acessible converter for the mac?

thanks
Maria