[macvoiceover] Re: usb/serial converts on the mac?

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <cahomiak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 20:46:24 -0500

I know i'm a little late on this, but usually you have to load a usb serial
driver, meaning you have to install the driver, unless that changed with Snow
leopard. The two I've done are the prolific and keyspan drivers but it would
depend on the usbserial cable you have. You don't get an announcement that your
serial port is available except that a window may come up asking if you want to
configure it for networking. But usbserial drives devices usually come up as
/dev/cu. something such as usbserial (for the prolific cable and USA19H
something for the keyspan cables I use. But you can't just use any driver with
any cable; it depends on the cable you have. Exploring the cd could tell you
what kind of cable you have by showing the installation for keyspan or prolific
of whatever the cable is.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth