[macvoiceover] Re: transitioning to Mac from Windows

  • From: Chris on the Mac <clgilland07@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:14:24 -0400

Firstly:

Openbook will not work on a Mac unless you run Windows in a Virtual machine. Remember: The mac is a completely different opporating system from the one used in the Macintosh computers. Secondly, yes there is braille support for braille displays with Leopard on a Mac. Leopard is just the newest opporating system for the Mac. I really can't comment on this much, 1, causxe I do not own a copy of Leopard, and secondly, I do not have a braille display, nor do I have a Braille Note. I would imagine you could interface it in some form or shape but I can' be certained. I know that Kurzweil 3000. Yes I said 3000, not 1000, is supposed to work on the Mac for OCR, but again I have not tried it.

Feel free to chime in and ask any questions you would like. We are all very helpful. I do not know much about a mac either being that I only have had mine for 3 weeks come tomorrow, but, I promise you that I will do what I can to help you out.

Anyway, you take care.

Chris.

On Jul 21, 2008, at 10:57 AM, Jeremy Congdon wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm a new list member, and I'd like to introduce myself and ask a few
questions.  My name is Jeremy Congdon, and I am a visually impaired
librarian working at the NLS regional library in Philadelphia.  I'm a
braille reader.  I've joined this list in order to learn more about
how blind and visually impaired people use Macs, and since I've never
touched a Mac, I expect I won't be saying much.

I've been a Windows and JAWS user for many years, and my old Windows
computer seems to be dying.  I'm considering replacing it with a Mac,
and I have several questions about that.

First, what sort of OCR programs do people use with Macs?  Can I
install my OpenBook software, or would I have to get a new software
package for scanning?

Second, is there a list of braille displays the Mac supports?  For
unsupported displays, are there drivers available, and how would one
find them?  I ask because my braille display is dying at the same time
as my old computer is, and I may need to replace it with an older
model used display.

Third, does the BrailleNote connect with the Mac, either as a braille
display or to synchronize files?

I hope this is an appropriate forum for these questions.  If there's a
better place to ask, I'd appreciate advice on the best place to turn.

Thanks very much!

Jeremy

Chris Gilland:

E-mail:  clgilland07@xxxxxxxxx