[macvoiceover] Re: track pad commander

  • From: Rafaela Freundt <rafafreundt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 20:51:32 -0500

Hi Mark,
if you've ever used and i devise you will kinda know how the trackpad works.
you touch different parts of the trackpad which will simulate the window you
are inn, and there are different gestures like the one to interact, a two
finger swipe right, and left to stop interacting. It helps you better get the
layout of the screen, if, for instance, you want to find something in safari
you know is towards the bottom of the window, you tap the trackpad there and
you will probably find it. you activate items with a double tap, and you can
use the rotter, which will give you access by flicking down to different
elements like headings, tables, form controls, links, words, etc.
To activate the trackpad commander press the vo keys and put two fingers on the
trackpad some distance apart and turn them clockwise like a dial, anticlockwise
to deactivate it. The rotter is accessed the same way but without pressing the
vo keys.
You can even go to the menu bar by double tapping with two fingers the top of
the trackpad and to the doc doing the same at the bottom. Doing the same
gesture on the right brings up the window chooser and on the left the app
chooser.
So, the trackpad commander is very interesting and helps you navigate one
handed and with a better understanding of the window you're on, you can get
everywhere by either dragging your finger down it or flicking right and left.
The voiceover user guide may have a more detailed and understandable
explanation of how it works, but I hope I've helped you some.
I do sometimes forget it is there, but once you get used to it, it is amazing.
hth
Rafaela