[macvoiceover] spreadsheet program

  • From: Travis Siegel <windowbridge@xxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:24:24 -0500

Hello folks.
I've finally tracked down a copy of sc, the spreadsheet program that works from the command-line on unix-type systems. I have no idea why it isn't included by default with OSX, but I can say it works fairly well. I've grabbed the sources from some slackware disks I had laying around here, and hacked them (slightly) to compile on OSX.
You can find the sc.zip file on http://homepage.mac.com/windowbridge/
And, likely shortly, it'll be on
http://www.softcon.com/mac
as well.
It contains the sc program, man pages (man ./sc.1 to read them at a terminal prompt)
and a tutorial that explains enough to get you started with sc.
There's no other documentation, so if folks want more information, especially in regards to voiceover working with it, let me know, and I can always write up something to include or drop on the pages as a brief explanatory text. My suggestion is to turn off cursor tracking (vo-shift-f3) and leave the vo cursor sitting on the status line at the top of the screen (perhaps monitor it with a hotspot, though I didn't try that) so you can see what's happening as you work.
Some folks may experience a program hang when exiting sc.
If this happens, just close the terminal session using command-q.
Just be sure to save your spreadsheet first.
I'll need to spend sometime with the debugger to see why this is happening. My guess is it's related to memory deallocation, since that was the largest part of the changes required to make it work on OSX. Any way, enjoy, and let me know if there's anything vo/mac related that should be fixed.
Hope this helps those wanting a spreadsheet program for the mac.
It's not tables by any means, but it does work, and it is accessible, so perhaps it'll be worth something to someone.