[macvoiceover] Re: sound and speech anotation and dictation

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 10:21:32 -0400

As I just paid for the upgrade and it is called MacSpeech Dictate, I get the feeling that iDictate was a former name.

Dictation is the only really major thing that I find is definitely superior in Vista than Mac. The built-in Vista dictation, when run with System Access or using Brian Hartgen's scripts with JAWS, works really well, in fact, it's probably the best dictation solution I've ever seen on Windows.

I'm exceptionally disappointed with MacSpeech Dictate and Sphynx on GNU/Linux platforms. Sphynx has the excuse of being entirely a research project so we can't expect too much but Dictate is supposed to be a commercial product (it certainly costs enough) and it works like poop with VO.

Happy Hacking,
cdh
On Sep 3, 2009, at 9:47 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

it is newer than macspeech dictate or is that the older name.

On Sep 3, 2009, at 9:23 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

What is iListen? I have MacSpeech Dictate which works poorly with VO - do they have another program that is more friendly?

cdh
On Sep 2, 2009, at 9:27 PM, David Poehlman wrote:

well, dictation would be using ilisten a program for typing with your voice from macspeech. I don't know about the other stuff.

On Sep 2, 2009, at 9:18 PM, jim rawls wrote:

Hi all,
as you know I am thinking about switching to the Mac. Well, the adult Ed program is teaching a class called Mac for the very beginner. One of the things he is going to cover is what the subject line says here. What the heck would that be about? Any ideas? Jim