[macvoiceover] Re: snow leopard may have regressed

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:35:37 -0400

in hardware, there is a bunch of stuff. you need to go down the list and see if you find video or something like that.

On Sep 28, 2009, at 10:14 AM, Marty Rimpau wrote:

Hi David, I went in to the displays menu with control f8, and the display was set to 1024 by 768 pal 50 hertz pa television, so there was another setting down below that said the same thing for resolution, but it said ntsc 60 hertz, so I switched to that, and I went in to the system profiler, under hardware, and it just said I had a mac mini with a duo core single processor with two cores, and the 2gb of ram, with a bus speed of 667 megahertz, so is there anything else I need to check?
Marty

On Sep 28, 2009, at 4:05 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

ok Marty and all;

Let's get down to the nitty gritty of it all,

go to system preferences>displays and have a look at the display setting. what do you find? I don't know what you should find in your case but it will report what is or it is set to connect to. also have a look at system profiler under the applemenu>about this mac> more info and shinny on down to the display area and see what you find. report here and we'll go further with this. Snow leopard does seem to be buisier though in some places than in others that it was not before even with a notebook. I'll have a look at skype on my old squeaky black macbook and see what it does.

Thanks!

On Sep 27, 2009, at 9:41 PM, Marty Rimpau wrote:

Hi all, this is especially for any mac mini users on the list, and the question I want to ask is, do you think that snow leopard has fixed the trick where you can hook up a dvi to composit video adapter to your mini, and fool it in to thinking you have a monitor? I ask because I'm having a hard time with some dialogs in skype, and most recently, the empty cash dialog in safari, and I suspect that the mac is looking for a monitor that it can't find, even with the dvi to composit video adapter hooked up to my mac mini. If this is true, this is a great disappointment for me, and I even tried asking this question on one of the mac podcasts, and the lady in question didn't get it, but I figured they would since they were talking about lots of things I didn't understand, and if this is true with snow leopard, couldn't voice over have a script, or something written in to it, to tell the operating system not to look for a monitor as long as voice over is running? I hope this is not the case, but when safari keeps saying busy, busy, and I can't navigate in the skype transfers window, if there are multiple transfers that haven't been accepted, then I fear that this has happened, and I have written accessibility at apple regarding this, but I can't even explore the empty cash dialog in safari without voice over disappearing, and I fear that it is because the mac is looking for a monitor that it can't find. Thanks in advance.
Marty