[macvoiceover] Re: snow leopard changed implementation of type ahead in finder:

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 10:44:10 -0400

ok, in leopard, if I was sitting on safari and pressed s, it would say safari no matter how many times I pressed s. that's fine. in snow leopard, if I am sitting on safari and press s nothing happens but I can press it a couple of times and cause it to move to stickies and then back to safari.

On Sep 9, 2009, at 10:37 AM, Marie Howarth wrote:

well, unless you had a app or doc with a d next to the first d, nothing will happen.

On Sep 9, 2009, at 3:22 PM, David Poehlman wrote:

what if you are sitting on d and press d again?

On Sep 9, 2009, at 10:20 AM, Marie Howarth wrote:

this is not true in my case. it's working as it did in leopard. press d for example, takes you to desktop in the new finder window in icon view. pressing DO takes you to documents and DOW results in downloads.
this is how it works in catland and it makes much more sense. :)

On Sep 9, 2009, at 2:22 PM, David Poehlman wrote:

and this is changed because in sl, it just does nothing when you press the letter if you are sitting on the app.

On Sep 9, 2009, at 8:53 AM, Russell Solowoniuk wrote:

VO just reads the name of the app I'm sitting on each time I press the first letter. It's odd, but soetimes it will move to the next app, but most of the time it just sits on that one app and VO will read that app name at each press of that letter.
On 9-Sep-09, at 6:37 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

what if you are sitting on that app?

On Sep 9, 2009, at 8:35 AM, Russell Solowoniuk wrote:

HiDavid & all,

I never did have much luck with first letter navigation in the finder... still using Leopard... in my case, pressing a letter will jump to the first app starting with that letter, but that's it. Pressing the same letter again doesn't seem to move to the next app starting with that letter. And, yes, this is in icon view.

Russell
On 9-Sep-09, at 6:08 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

all;

if you use type ahead in the finder and you are sitting on an item whose first letter is the same as an item which you want to move to, pressing tha letter now yeilds silence. for instance, if you are sitting on mail, typing mail yeilds silence. if you are sitting on safari, pressing s yeilds silence but if you hit the letter enough times, you will eventually hear the app you are sitting on. it used to move us from app to app with the same first letter or am I dreaming? use icon mode when doing this.