[macvoiceover] Re: searching for text on a web page

  • From: Donna Goodin <goodindo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 14:29:10 -0400

I have to say that's really hard to picture. You do seem to have the Mac in your bones. I can't imagine what it would be like to sort all this out without you and others on this list. I really do think I would have given up a week or so ago. *smile*

Take care,
Donna
On Jul 31, 2009, at 11:04 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

oh, you should hve seen me before this list was borne. I struggled just like everyone else new to the mac.

On Jul 31, 2009, at 10:27 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

Hi,

Over the past decade or so I have been on a number of different lists with Donna. She, like most of us did at some point (excepting of course David and Lioncourt who have Macintosh accessibility in their DNA <laugh>) will ask some newbie questions. Coming over from JAWS or some other Windows SR or orca and GNU/Linux systems the questions will certainly contain a bias as our expectations will be preset by the learning we have already done in the past.

Donna, on the other lists from where I've known her, has always provided a lot of help to newbies once she has learned how to approach a task. It is my not at all humble opinion that Donna is a terrific asset to any online community that is interested in technology and people with vision impairment.

I think it would be a valuable exercise but also one that will take a lot of time and effort to create a document with a name like, "VoiceOver Eye for the JAWS Guy" or something similar that provides basic tutorial information about VO but also provides a "this is how you did it with JAWS but this is a Macintosh with VoiceOver and we do things this way..."

Maybe someone could even write a little program that just presents a table with JAWS Way, VO Way as columns for major functions and a detail button for functions with no direct analogues on the other platform.

Obviously, someone could add Window-Eyes, HAL, System Access and orca but with a worldwide market-share of over 90%, JAWS is the most likely screen reader one would be leaving to start using a Macintosh.

Everything from how VO speaks the character at the insertion point to table navigation is very different from the Windows and GNU platforms. A little understanding and patience and we'll make a new friend and add a terrific mind to our community.

Peace,
cdh

.

On Jul 31, 2009, at 9:35 AM, brandon armstrong wrote:

donna I'm sorry but i am getting real tired of your pointless questions on this list. you are coming to the point where i don't want to be here anymore and i am on the virg of unsubscribing period.
Please stop asking questions that relate to windows on the mac.
thanks.
Brandon
On Jul 30, 2009, at 8:16 AM, Donna Goodin wrote:

Hi all,

Recently, when searching for text on a webpage using command-F, I saw a button that said 2 results found, but I seemed to have no way to actually see the results. How do you view results when searching on a webpage?
Thanks,
Donna