[macvoiceover] scangear-cs dialog accessibility with canoscan lide 60; also readiris vs. abbyy

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <cahomiak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 12:06:36 -0600

Hi all.

There is a voiceover accessibility question in this email but I'm including
other information that some might want to see, so if you just want to see my
question, you can skip down a bit to find it or plug your ears if you aren't
interested in the rest of this email.

I decided to try buying the Abbyy ocr app for the Mac; I was able to search for
a coupon that gave me $20 off: SMBTM was what I used but these change
periodically so you may want to do your own search if you decide to buy.

When it comes to scanning books, I don't see a huge difference between readiris
and abbyy, except that I don't seem to get as many extraneous characters on the
page with abbyy. However, while I almost never get anything intelligible with
book jacket information with readiris, I do get most if not all of it with
abbyy. This is probably something that would be correctable in readiris if we
knew how to tweak the page settings for a given page but with the same stiff
file from vuescan I get better results from abbyy than readiris. The same is
also true when scanning email. Below I show the results, with the same
vuescan-produced tiff file, of an advertisement from AT&T Uverse. I have both
readiris and abbyy set for text output instead of rtf right now. Btw, if you
want to keep from having long run-on lines from ocr in readiris, uncheck the
"merge lines into paragraphs" item in the output settings. That has been
irritating me for ages!!! I wasn't sure if the Abbyy program, which is an
express one rather than the full version as in Windows, would orient my
material but so far it seems to be doing so, though there is also opportunity
to adjust image rotation.

I have been using vuescan to do the scanning. In vuescan preferences, I changed
external viewer to default since abbyy isn't listed and then I went into
getinfo for a tiff file and changed "open with" to the abbyy program and hit
the "change all" button so all tiff files would open in the abbyy program.

This brings me to my problem. I'd like to try doing my scanning in the Abbyy
program though vuescan seems to be doing a fine job with this task. But both in
readiris and abbyy, when I try to scan within those apps using my canoscan lied
60, the following happens:

1. There's some preliminary noise from the scanner.
2. A scangear-cs dialog opens in which here are three tabs and choices need to
be made before the scan button will do anything.
3. The popups within this dialog appear to be totally inaccessible.

So apparently abbyy is passing the scanning to the scangear program for the
canoscan or at least settings need to be changed with scanner  in order to scan
with abbyy or readiris. I tried updating the scanner's driver and even
installed the toolbox software for this scanner from Canon but neither of these
actions made any difference. Has anybody with a canoscan lied 60 found a way to
make this scangear dialog accessible or to otherwise scan directly with abbyy
or readiris? I suppose in a way I might as well just stick with vuescan if I'm
going to be dumped into the scanner dialog every time I scan with readiris or
abbyy.

Here are my ocr results  from one side of an AT&T Uverse advertisement using
vuescan to scan. Again, I'm sure it is probably possible to get just as clear a
result with readiris except that we wouldn't know how to redraw. Redrawing is
btw also available with the abbyy program. I'm not suggesting that the
differences in results are always this dramatic; I don't want to mislead
anybody.

readiris results: text version

~

~ ~~!! Delivered.

abbyyy results: text version
Sweet!
and get $100 back via promotion card from AT&T
with qualifying services* when you call or visit
an AT&T store near you.
(See reverse for details.)
You can choose to stop receiving "prescreened" offers of credit for AT&T
U-verseSM service by calling toll-free
1-888-567-8688. See Prescreen and Opt-Out Notice on the back for more
information about prescreened offers.
AT&T U-verse
^^—-^    Your world
Your world. Delivered.