[macvoiceover] Re: safari and file types

  • From: Marty Rimpau <mrimpau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 21:55:00 -0700

Hi David, I could do that.

On Aug 8, 2009, at 5:01 PM, David Poehlman wrote:

I mean can you mail the link to yourself?

On Aug 8, 2009, at 6:56 PM, Marty Rimpau wrote:

Hi David, I suppose that would work, I'd just have to get it on the mac.

On Aug 8, 2009, at 3:51 PM, David Poehlman wrote:

well, can you mail it to yourself?

On Aug 8, 2009, at 6:47 PM, Marty Rimpau wrote:

Hi David, not if the link has an extension at the end of it, typed in the address bar.

On Aug 8, 2009, at 3:44 PM, David Poehlman wrote:

tell real player to stay out of your business.
Seriously though, what you can do is press vo-shiftshift-m on the link and select download linked fine as or whatever you want from that menu.

On Aug 8, 2009, at 6:36 PM, Marty Rimpau wrote:

Hi David, let us say that you are given a file with an mp3 extention, if you go to a particular site, and if the link points toward the mp3, you could make it download by pressing option enter, but if you were to copy the link and put it in the address bar of safari, it would automatically open. I was downloading .rm files from a site
http://www.mikesmess.com/oldie3.rm
which is a direct link to the file, and even while I had safari 4.0, it would automatically download, but now, that site is infected, so I tried uploading the file to my web site, but when I typed it in, real player opened up, and I do have that check box unchecked, because it is my understanding that with .dmg files, they would automatically open in the finder, which I didn't want. Sorry for rambling on, but in the other platform, there is the registered file types dialog, and I've told it what I want to download, in cases where I might want a direct file.

On Aug 8, 2009, at 2:42 PM, David Poehlman wrote:

Marty,

there is only one setting that even comes close to this in safari. ingeneral safari prefs, you will find it labeled open safe files after downloading. if you uncheck the checkbox, nothing that is clicked on will be downloaded except web pages and their associated files and those wrapped in instructions instructing safari to do so. I do not know how to overide open instructions from the web and I do not know of a way to tell safari not to download files but that checkbox will play after downloading and it is checked by default so if we had a better idea of for example, where you are on the web, we might be able to help with this. Windows has some interesting habits indeed.

On Aug 8, 2009, at 5:33 PM, Marty Rimpau wrote:

Hi all, how does one instruct safari not to automatically download certain file types if there is a direct link to a file, for example, an mp3 file, or something like that? In a browser on the other platform, when you first would download a file, there would be a series of radio buttons that would come up as to what to do regarding that file type, and it would be nice, if you could tell safari how to deal with each file type, and thanks in advance for any assistance.