[macvoiceover] requesting information to help a new Mac user

  • From: Mark BurningHawk Baxter <markbaxter38@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 13:04:04 -0700

Friend of mine in Boston is getting a Mac Mini, after his four-year- old PC died. He is deaf-blind, and uses either an Alva, and Braillerino or a Braille Connect. He wants to et a Mac Mini which will come, obviously, with SL. Do you know if any of these Braille displays are supported, and am I correct in telling him that there is a VoiceOver manual he can get in Braille? I'm 95% certain I remember reading that one existed, and he's definitely a Braille learner. I've told him how to turn on VO, but of course it will start speaking; is there a way to quickly switch to Braille support? I know there's a VO tutorial, but it's speech-based, and I can't remember how to activate it, since I never used it. I'm trying to help him out by phone from 3000 miles away, so I'd like to be very sure to give him the right instructions.

Thanks, all. :)