[macvoiceover] Re: regarding garage band

  • From: Lewis Brock <lewisjbrock@xxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:31:19 +0000

I will be publishing tutorials this week. will be available fingers crossed by the weekend. as I say sorry for the delay. work has kept me busy. so dont worry guys. any problems with garage band. ask me and i will walk you through those issues and possible solutions etc.

lew

On 10 Mar 2008, at 14:14, Keith Reedy wrote:

Hi Ginny,

Good information from David.

First of all, make sure that you have the latest Garageband update. You can interact with the track list and read it fine. Some real good help is to play around with the demo songs. I am going to try to have some kind of a basic guide out before weeks end and maybe it will serve to get us interested. I had been hoping that some one els would do a guide so that I could just have fun with Garageband, grin, smile.

Keith Reedy

On Mar 10, 2008, at 7:29 AM, Ginny wrote:

Well, I’ve been one of those folks who has spent lots of time in one-to-one training at the Apple store and then coming home to try to make some sense of what we as visually impaired users can actually accomplish with garage band. Here are a few of the problems I’ve uncovered. Please let me know if there are work- arounds for these problems, because if there are, then we should definitely put our heads together and come up with a guide for VO users. • The track listing is not accessible. I can record a track, and then I can record a new track, but I can’t then go and select one of those tracks and edit it because I can’t access a track list.

2. The list of provided instruments isn’t labeled. I think it would be possible to memorize where each instrument list is, but then when you click on the main instrument, you have to select categories within that instrument which are also not accessible. Once you can actually get to a list of instruments—say, jazz bass, you can read through the various names of the jazz bass sound options. However, getting to that point is incredibly challenging.

• I can’t figure out a way to drag and drop the provided instruments or loops into a track…I can only listen to their samples.

 • There doesn’t seem to be a way to edit individual tracks.

I’d love to know if you guys have found work-arounds for these issues, because if garage band’s not quite accessible, I’m going to have to resort to Cakewalk. <sad sigh>

Lewis Brock
Totally Blind musician and composer of 21st century music

PHONE: +44 07857 352828
E-MAIL: lewisjbrock@xxxxxxx
MSN: lewis.brock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
SKYPE: lewisjbrock