[macvoiceover] question about using cell phone for a modem

  • From: Carla Roller <croller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 06:18:38 -0500

Good morning all, I am just wondering if anyone has ever used a cell phone as there modem for internet purposes. I have asked different representatives from Alltel communications if this will work with the mac, and i am told that this is not compatible with the mac. However, it is my experience that most companies, schools, ect. are all for windows and they are still in the fog concerning how well the mac is. i have been told that sometimes the mac will work when they say that it is not compatible. has anyone tried this or does anyone know if there is a phone company that uses mac as well as windows? I wanted to use my phone as a modem because satellite is too expensive and we don't have high speed internet and this could be a good while in coming to our area. the air card is too pricy also, but using the cell phone as a modem costs about $25 per month after you pay $60 or so for the proper cable and such. Also, then I could have internet access on the go!! That would be wonderful. I sure would appreciat any help with this. At the present time I am at a point to where I could change cell phone providers if need be. TIA Carla