[macvoiceover] Re: paying for a mac?

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 07:34:37 -0400

I have a whole lot of Apple equipment: 1 white plastic MacBook 13 (spring 2008), 1 iMac 24 (winter 2009), a Time Capsule, an Airport Express, a Nano, an iPhone and probably some things I can't recall this morning as my caffeine levels are dangerously low.

Some of these I paid for out of pocket, some were bought by consulting clients to be used on some project or another and a couple were gifts. I guess I have a hybrid way of acquiring this stuff.

I mostly work as a contractor on obscure academic/scholarly pursuits regarding audio user interfaces. I'm in a very fortunate position at this point in my life in that I can pick and choose gigs and not have to be a whore for some companies whose business practices I abhor.

I also have the luxury of deciding when I care to work and tend toward projects with very comfortable deadlines as I spent a large portion of my first 49 years going grey and developing a tremendously set of RSI problems, I like living a pain and pain medication free life which becomes nearly impossible with really aggressive schedules.

I am currently working on a chapter for a text book, negotiating a book deal about AT stuff and working to organize the Raising the Floor Initiative (www.raisingthefloor.net) which was founded a couple of years back by Jim Fruchterman and Gregg Vanderheiden.

I also enjoy a lot of volunteer time in areas where I don't ordinarily tread as I have a tremendous level of curiosity and find nearly everything interesting.

Does this cover what you were looking for? It's probably too much information but bits are cheap these days <laugh>.

Happy Hacking,
cdh

PS: Except for various compliance testing tasks, I use Macintosh exclusively these days. I do have a GNU/Linux contract coming up that will bring me to Brazil and I'll be using the Ubuntu distro with some purely GNU parts as they want everything GPL 3.0 or higher.

On Jul 23, 2009, at 3:23 PM, Josh wrote:

Hi,

How do you guys pay for your apple computers? Do you have jobs? and if so, what kind? did you get them from college or are currently going to college? Or do you just save up your social security money and buy them that way?

Josh

Join me on klango at www.klango.net visit and sign my petition
at:http://www.petitiononline.com/coda1234/petition.html
and visit my blog at: http://jkenn337.klangoblog.net follow me on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/jkenn337