[macvoiceover] Re: no nls for ipod ever:

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 12:28:34 -0400

no, they could provide software and a key to operate it just like they do for the proprietary devices we are forced to use.

On Oct 23, 2009, at 12:14 PM, Bryan Smart wrote:

As I understand it, their reasons are technical, , not ideological.

In order to distribute the books, they're required to be certain that only blind people can access the material. To date, this has been possible by making the books available on blind-person-only devices like the Stream and Icon/Braille+. Of course, a sighted person could purchase one of these, but probably wouldn't want to. Further, these devices have advanced rights protection features, and a sighted person wouldn't be able to easily obtain a decryption key.

Though rights protection can be frustrating at some times, NLS has tried to make this as painless as possible by only requiring authorization for the device, not each piece of content. For example, once your device is authorized, you can download as much content as you want from their web site. You can archive the content in any way that suits you, and play it on any player that you own that is authorized. You never need to ask for permission to play a specific book, worry about files that expire, etc. As rights protection goes, this is a very friendly, easy to use, and flexible system.

There is no technical way to secure content on PCs to the same degree that is possible with the current hardware players. All that would need to happen on a PC is for someone to manually hack the player application, and the hacked player would be able to play any book from the collection. With the unlimited download capability on the NLS site, you'd have a huge problem with unauthorized people downloading mountains of books, building their own collections, and sharing them. The only partial solution would be for NLS to start acting like Audible, enforcing download limits, requiring you to obtain per-book authorization, and forcing files to expire. And, even then, the content would still be quite vulnerable, while increasing the frustration level for all of the honest users that must now deal with complex rights protection.

The IPod and IPhone are secure platforms, but ITunes is not. Since ITunes is used to manage content on the Apple players, NLS probably sees ITunes as just as big of a security hole as any PC player.

Of course, anyone that is determined enough can break any sort of protection. However, NLS must make these efforts, or else they'll be viewed as contributing to unauthorized reproduction. I'm not fully up on the legal side of why they do this, but I bet that they're working under some modified form of the exemption in the DMCA that allows them to produce these audio books in an alternative format without having to seek approval for each individual book from the copyright holder. Reproducing audio books as specially formatted talking books on specialized players can probably stand legally as an acceptable alternative format, while making them available through a PC application is not looked on in the same way.

Maybe if the books could be downloaded over the air directly to an IPod Touch or IPhone, they could have legal cover, but I don't think that a sync with ITunes would stand.

As it is, you can buy a Stream for about $300. That is dirt cheap as far as assistive tech goes, and it is a far better book player than any IPod. If you're too broke to afford a Stream, you can get a free digital player from your library.

I'd like to play their books on my other devices, but I think that their hands are legally tied in this regard.

Bryan