[macvoiceover] Re: new member wondering about switching from Windows XP pro to mac, with a billion questions.

  • From: Marty Rimpau <mrimpau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 10:57:17 -0700

Hi Jim, no operating system is easy to learn, really, but I think there is less of a learning curve on the mac than with the other operating system, and you have several places to read and hear about the mac. You can go to

http://www.blindcooltech.com
and listen to the twenty or more podcasts on the mac, you have
http://www.icanworkthisthing.com
under mac with voice over to read about navigating with voice over, and other mac applications, and you have
http://blindworldblog.blogspot.com
for more mac podcasts
as well as the screenless switchers at
http://www.screenlessswitchers.com
and
http://www.apple.com/accessibility
so there are lots of places to learn about the mac, but one plus the mac has that the other operating system doesn't have is that the more you know about voice over, the more you know about the mac operating system, which isn't the case with traditional screen readers. Hope this information helps you, but I switched, and will never look back.
On Sep 2, 2009, at 8:45 AM, Chantel Cuddemi wrote:

Hi, Jim,
I am going to tell you right now that you need to forget all that you know about windows when it comes to using your mac. Mac is very different from windows in the way that the screen reads things, and the way you navigate the screen is different. With the mac, you must interact with tables and other things by hitting control option shift down arrow.
Stop interacting by hitting control option shift up arrow.
Hth,
Chantel.
On Sep 2, 2009, at 11:39 AM, jim rawls wrote:

Hi all,
My name is Jim Rawls, from Southern California, and my friend Peggy Fleischer,says I need to switch to the Mac. So, since I have been a windows user for 8 years, is the change hard? Is the relearning all the stuff I have to learn easy, and where can I get a list of the commands I need with voice over?
my skype contact is
jim332, and my email is
jazzpiano@xxxxxxxxxxxx
I would appreciate all the help you can offer.
Thanks in advance.
Jim