[macvoiceover] Re: new macbook?

  • From: Cara Quinn <Cara-Quinn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 22:50:08 -0700

Sara, I use the track pad and mouse often, and have done so since the late nineties or so.

I personally actually feel restricted just using a keyboard. I'm much more comfortable having access to a mouse or trackpad as well.

One reason for this for me, is that I can move from app to app or to different parts of the screen / OS very quickly / intuitively rather than having to remember key commands or needing to cycle through windows and such until I find the area that I want to move to. I.E. with a mouse or track pad, if I for example, want to move quickly to the dock, I can simply scoot my finger down the trackpad and bingo! I'm there in an instant. No messing around with keystrokes and such. <smile>

Voiceover is very accurate in regard to the mouse pointer, so it's definitely possible to use the mouse / trackpad effectively.

As far as multi touch uses, two examples might be regarding photos. Pinching with two fingers on the pad might zoom a photo in, whereas rotating the same two fingers might rotate the image on the screen. One more familiar use of multi touch capability that you may already have used, is to tap with two fingers on the trackpad, which emulates a ctrl click.

Hope this helps and have a terrific evening!…

Smiles,

Cara  :)
On Oct 14, 2008, at 7:46 PM, Sara wrote:

Oo oo oo, this is going to be fun. Does anybody understand how this multi-touch thing works? I think we have a sighted person or two on here; would be interesting to hear from them on how they control the mouse. I know they can see where the pointer is, but I mean about moving it. This multi-touch thing seems really complicated.
Sara
P.S. One thing I think track pads have over mice mouses? is that they can let you move straight I mean perfectly straight, just run your finger along the edge of the thinger and there you go. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jacob Schmude" <j.schmude@xxxxxxxxx >