[macvoiceover] Re: [macvoiceover]Not all Apple Stores are created equal

  • From: Marcy Weinberg <rhymingmom1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 14:40:16 -0400

Hi, John and al,
I agree. I debated whether or not to write my initial experience, as I would never want to turn anyone off about purchasing a mac. So, now that I've said that up front, here goes... I went to the closest Apple store, about an hour away, to do some hands on when I was considering buying my macbook. Notes were made about me wanting to learn about voiceover on the mac when the appointment was made on line. When I got to the store, first a young lady tried to help me, but kept insisting on using the mouse, though voiceover was turned on. She went to get another salesperson, but he knew no more than she, and told me the person that knew about vo was off that day. Hmmm... I was quite fortunate in having a very good friend who I was able to call. My friend told the Apple dude how to set me up, and with a headphones in and my cell phone on speaker, we went through vo 101, my friend and me! In subsequent visits, I haven't found anyone in my dealings who knows a whole lot about vo. But I've never made an appointment for tutoring in vo, or anything like that, so I can only speak from my own experience.
I do love my mac!  Marcy
On Aug 5, 2009, at 2:22 PM, John Panarese wrote:

From having read the experiences of many people, I think Apple Stores will fall into any category other retail stores will fit. For example, the local Apple Store here has, by and large, very knowledgeable and helpful people. They, at least, are aware of VoiceOver and can talk about it. On the other hand, there is another Apple Store on the island that does not seem to have the same caliber staff. I would hope that, eventually, there would be someone on the staff of each store who would possess enough knowledge of VoiceOver and how it works on the Mac, the iPod and iPhone to help a potential customer make a buying decision or to assist with technical matters.

BTW, Rich, I know what you mean. Instant gratification and technology is a big vice of mine as well. I had to order my iPhone online when the announcement was made because I feared that by the time I'd get to the local store, they wouldn't have any left in stock.

Take Care

John Panarese

On Aug 5, 2009, at 10:12 AM, Richard Ring wrote:

Hello:
My experience with my local Apple store was a mixed thing.  Certainly,
the employees I dealt with were friendly and extremely courteous.
However, they were not as helpful as I might have liked.
When my partner Sarah purchased an iPhone, I was not certain as to
whether or not I wanted one.  However, one week later, I decided to go
for it. I contacted my local AT&T store and was told that iPhones were
back ordered, and they could order one for me.  But being in instant
gratification mode, that wasn't going to satisfy my techno lust.
Therefore, I called my local Apple store. I was informed that they had
three 32 gig iPhones that were, if I remember, white.  I asked if they
could hold one for me if I furnished a credit card number.  I was told
that this practice was against Apple's policy.  I certainly understood
that, but my feeling was this.  If I were going to pay for a cab to go
there, I didn't want to get there only to find that they had no iPhones. So, I pretty much decided I would put this project on hold. But techno lust is a difficult foe to vanquish. So around 5 PM I called the Apple
store again.  I was told they had received a "surprise" shipment of
iPhones, and that they had enough to guarantee that they'd have one for me by the time I got there. My partner, Sarah then contacted the store and asked if she would be able to upgrade her 16 gig iPhone to a 32 gig model by simply paying the difference. I should add that this all took
place on June 26, so that made her iPhone a week old.  They put her on
hold for a while, and when they finally got back to her they told her
that she could in fact do this.  So, off we went to the Apple store.
Now, when we got there, she told them what she had been given to
understand over the phone regarding this upgrade. So, the employee went
away for about ten minutes.  When he returned, he said that no, they
couldn't do it because Sarah had purchased her iPhone online. Ok, so I
bought a 32 gig phone anyway.  They didn't know how to turn on Voice
Over, but we were able to tell them. Finally, we asked them if we could
simply swap sim cards between the two phones.  We were told that this
would not be possible, and to do so might result in the phones becoming inactive. Well, I've been dealing with sim card phones for nearly four
years, and I kind of suspected that this was not correct.  And, on the
way home in the cab, we switched sim cards, and our phones have worked
just fine ever since.
Having said all that, I probably will buy a Mac from this store next
month. They told me that they had heard of Voice Over for the Mac, but
they really didn't know what it was.  It will be fun to show them.

Wordy Mom
Think positive,
...be positive,
...your cup is always half full.