[macvoiceover] Re: mac mini and dvd's

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <chomiak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mac voice over list <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 09:30:31 -0600 (CST)

Yes, there is something you cAN PURCHASE BUT i DON'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF IT AT THE MOMENT. yOU CAN ALSO PLAY DVDES WITHOUT FOOLING THE MAC MINI USING VLC. i DON'T HAVE TIME TO LOOK IT UP RIGHT THIS MINUTE BUT TRY EXPERIMENTING AND LOOKING IN THE ARCHIVES AND IF SOMEBODY ELSE DOESN'T POST IT I'll do it later. Sorry for the all caps for a while but I don't have time to rewrite. Also, besides vlc which would be easiest, if you can install mplayer with macports mplayer also will play dvds. I do know the directions for that. You do from terminal:

mplayer dvde://1 for the first title on the dvd, dvd://2 for the second, etc. To find the titles you do:
mplayer -identify -frames 0 dvd://

You can also extract the audio from a dvd to wav with mplayer but you have to do it by chapter; each title is made up of chapters. Here's an example of extracting the second chapter from the first title:

mplayer -vc dummy -vo null -af resample=44100:0:0 -ao pcm:fiel=filename.wav -chapter 2:2 dvd://1
Filename is of course the name you want to give the file.

I think there's also an mplayer for Macosx but I don't know if it does all the stuff with the dvds or not; tried it a long time ago and it didn't work well so haven't tried it since.

Sorry I don't remember at the moment how to play dvds with vlc; I know you open vlc and do cmd-d and there's probably already a box that says dvd:// but I don't remember if you have to put more in that edit box to get it to play.

--
Cheryl