[macvoiceover] Re: keeping programs in focus

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 08:56:12 -0400

CDH and all;

when you write in a message, do not interact with it. if it is not working for you, something is rong. this is often a zoom issue. if you zoom while in the message you are writing, using up and down and left and right arrows without vo should work fine. it has for years for me. I usually have to do this if I move away from the message I am composing and return to it. Since recent updates, I have noticed that using vo to get started back in a compose area refocuses the message.

I've seen a good deal of focus issues in the mail list with the message list but they are not exactly focus issues, the point of regard will be on a message and vo will be announcing another. I usually solve this with up and down arrow. I do not use vo in the message list. I have147239 messages in my inbox at the moment. Can you not just tab back to the message list? I haven't seen the issue of jumping out of the list but then I don't fool round in it. it could be an artifact of cursor tracking as you suggest. As for resetting mail, you could try renaming its preferences payne. it will be found in ~library/preferences/comp.apple.mail.plist

On Aug 16, 2009, at 8:14 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your note.

The VO+l issue only happens when I am replying to a message and not when I am just reading or when I'm composing a new message from scratch. I am definitely interacting with the edit area as I don't know any other way to write and send a reply.

As I said, it doesn't always happen and it is one of a pile of little oddities I see daily in Mail.

Other weirdnesses include: the title bar will be read, "Inbox, 0 messages, 50 unread" which is little more than an annoyance as the unread number is usually the one in which I am interested and it is accurate. Based upon a suggestion on this list, I ran a repair on all of my mailboxes (Repair was greyed in the menu for trash).

Another much more annoying one happens when I send a message. After it has gone off, I find myself in the Mailboxes table and need to arrow up until I find Inbox again. I thought this might have been the result of using the mouse click (numpad 5) in numpad commander but, alas, it also happens when I use VO+Space on the spell checker before sending.

Lots of times when I read a thread with a lot of messages, I find myself way up or down in the message list when I am done. I know why this may happen as, somewhere in the bowels of VO it probably keeps an index and deleting a bunch of messages from a single line in the mailbox may cause it to lose its mind. This is quite obviously a bug that should be fixed.

I have a number of mailboxes with a pile (over 100) of messages in them, could this be the culprit?

Finally, is there some way to simply reinstall or restore Mail to its factory settings? This may solve problems that I may have accidentally caused with an erroneous keystroke somewhere along the way. I've been using Mail as my only mail reader for over a year and have lots of stuff stored in sub-mailboxes (I did this in Outlook for years at a time without issue) and I've no idea how to clean it all up.

thanks once again,
cdh
 ,

On Aug 16, 2009, at 7:31 AM, Keith Reedy wrote:

CDH,

Make sure that you interact with the message, or, what ever you are trying to read. When I do this, VO-L works fine for me.

Some have written to accessibility@xxxxxxxxx and they seem to be aware of this keyboard focus issue. You mite want to drop them a note as well.

Keith Reedy

God gives His best to those who leave the Choice with Him.
J Hudson Taylor.

On Aug 16, 2009, at 7:11 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

I'm having a little focus issue as well. This only happens in Mail while I'm composing an email: VO+l to read the current line will often read something further down the page. Putting a bunch of new lines at the bottom helps and now and then switching away from mail and back will fix it. It's a puzzling one but I sort of feel as though my Mail program is deteriorating with odd behaviors sneaking in and, having received lots of information on how to fix it on this list, nothing has worked thus far.

Any help with the VO+l issue or any of the other weird Mail behaviors I've reported) will be gratefully accepted.

cdh
On Aug 15, 2009, at 4:51 PM, carlene knight wrote:

Hi:

I'm a clueless new user of the OSX format and have a focus issue. We've set up the spaces and when I try to change focus to another application the computer jumps back to the previously open program and won't stop. Any ideas? Thanks.