[macvoiceover] is a paid screenreader for the mac a option?

  • From: William Windels <william.windels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, macvisionaries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 14:08:43 +0200

Hello,
After working for more than 3 years with the mac , it's my personal opinionthat
more basic programs are accessible on windows then on the mac platform.

I find it more stable to work on the mac because of the integration of the
screenreader voiceover with the osx.
The fact that the hardware is also adapted for us by the trackpad and the
function-keys with the spoken values.
And of course the flexible way we can install , manage the system with
voiceover support everywhere.

However, we can't e.g. configure dropbox with voiceover while this is possible
on windows, office programs like microsoft office and also iWork's aren't fully
accessible with lay-out tasks, in my opinion there are several usability issues
with the browsers on the mac, some ellements of the os , like
Tables, on websites and on numbers and pages, are very difficult to navigate
e.g. you can't search for edit-fields on websites while they are in a table and
in pages, you can't work with tables on a comfortable way.
the icon's on the status bar, can't be reached on a normal way with voiceover...

My conclusion: a paid screenreader for the mac that makes program's accessible
with scripts (like screen readers on windows do), should be very welcome I
think.
With this kind of optional screenreader, blind users should be able to use all
the equivalents on the mac of their windows favorites.  Perhaps it should push
apple  to make their screenreader better on a faster speed.

Why such screenreader doesn't exist yet?
I see 2 reasons for this:
1. Apple should not be happy with this and the screenreader of apple should
have more possibilities to integrate with the os then the external screenreader.
2. Other communities don't see a reason to make a screenreader for the mac
while there is one built in.
If it should be the second reason, any people with accessibility frustrations
on the mac , should communicate this to other companies like gw micro, freedom
scientific, baum...

Any opinions about this meanings should be very welcome.
kind regards,
William Windels>