[macvoiceover] Re: iPhone crashing after upgrading to IOS 9

  • From: Keith Reedy <wa9dro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Voiceover Mac <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 14:19:13 -0400

Ian,

It is ok to have friends even if they are not real and voices in your head are
ok as well. Just don't laugh at there jokes, grin.
We print the Bible in Braille,
http://biblesfortheblind.org
Keith Reedy
God gives His best to those who leave the choice with Him. J Hudson Taylor.

On Sep 25, 2015, at 12:57 PM, Ian Edwards <ianedwards42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I had a smooth upgrade to 9.0, not sure what version or phone model my friend
is using.

I just noticed a software update notification asking me to install 9.0.1. I’m
installing it now, hoping that it doesn’t crash my world and cause me to have
to not work and instead spend the day in my hammock pondering life.

I’m also just noticing that I’m talking a lot about my friends who have
problems, I promise they are real. At least I think they’re real. They’r real
to me, I guess that will have to do.

Ian

On Sep 25, 2015, at 3:57 AM, Ignasi Cambra Díaz <ignasicambra@xxxxxx> wrote:

Cheryl, I completely agree with you. Keith usually advises people on this
list against upgrading either OS X or iOS, and I am sure he has his reasons
to do so. I have also been trying out the betas, and didn't encounter any
disastrous crashing issues.
In any case I just wanted to point out that the current public beta of iOS
9.1 solves many of the problems that I was seeing with iOS nine as a
voiceover user. At this point and after using it for two days I can say that
at least for me it's working much better than anything that I have been
using before for this Version of the system. It is still a beta so there is
some risk in upgrading, but if you are already running iOS nine I would
suggest that you try it, because at least for me it's really working much
better than the version that's currently being distributed, which is 9.0.1.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 25, 2015, at 8:06 AM, Cheryl Homiak <cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've heard of a few crashes and I've heard of a lot of smooth installs too!
Can yr iphone crash and have to be replaced? - sure! Can it happen if you
upgrade at the beginning? - sure! Can it still happen if you do it later?
Sure, either one! I ran the beta. I did that on one device. I upgraded my
other devices on the first day. Could something have happened to them?
Sure, but it didn't! The more complex things get and the more people there
are who have iPhones, the more you will hear about crashes - and the more
you will hear about successfull installs also! I would never dream of
telling somebody else to upgrade the first day just because I usually do
so. Neither do I think any of us can categorically tell others not to
upgrade. We can share our experiences and explain what we are doing and
why. If I should one day have my phone crash and need replacement, I will
tell people about that but I will also continue to tell them about the
several upgrades I did smoothly and successfully. I will never try to give
people a false sense of security "ah go ahead! It will be just fine!" But
neither am I going to send people a fearful message! Each person must
decide what his/her comfort zone is and do what he/she thinks is wisest in
a particular situation. So for those who want to wait or even stay
indefinitely at a particular level: that may be the best thing for you!
Take it at your pace and don't let anybody pressure you or look down on you
because you are not upgrading! But for those who want to upgrade, you also
go ahead and do what you think best; enjoy it if it goes well but don't
feel foolish even if you do happen to be one of the people who has
problems. There is risk involved in almost every activity in which we
engage, and each of us has to make the decision as to what risks are okay
and what risks are not okay for him/her! It is perfectly reasonable for
Keith to warn about possible consequences and advise caution, but it is
also quite legitimate for those who have updated successfully time after
time to state this. The truth is that there is no way to guarantee that it
isn't ever going to be you who has the problem nor, on the other hand, is
there any reason to believe that most early adopters will eventually meet
their doom and regret that choice!

--
Cheryl
I tried and tried to turn over a new leaf.

On Sep 24, 2015, at 12:59 PM, Keith Reedy <wa9dro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes that happened to our son and Apple had to replace his phone. This
kind of thing is happening more and more with Apple's updates. We
recently lost an Apple TV because of an update and Apple had to replace
that as well. Apple's updates are no longer reliable and have not been
for a while. They have already issued an update for this IOS9 release.
Thats why I say don't rush to update. Some one is going to have a problem
just make sure that it is not you.
We print the Bible in Braille,
http://biblesfortheblind.org
Keith Reedy
God gives His best to those who leave the choice with Him. J Hudson
Taylor.

On Sep 24, 2015, at 1:32 PM, Ian Edwards <ianedwards42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A friend of mine asked me if I knew anything about iPhones crashing after
upgrading to iOS nine. Mine is fine, anyone else have experience with
this?

Ian