[macvoiceover] Re: iPhone and pushing 1

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <chomiak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 01:00:04 -0500

The easiest solution for this is to wear your headset when you are going to have to activate the keypad and push buttons. I also sometimes do it with the phone held out flat so the speaker is on if I don't have a headset on. First you have to push the keypad button; if you know you re going to need the keypad it's best to hit the keypad button before you need it rather than waiting till your response is required. Then you use the keypad as needed. The two problems with this are (1) voiceover's volume of course lowers when your call goes through; and (2) some automated systems don't allow much time for you to key in responses or jump in and complain that your input wasn't valid or couldn't be read if you pause too long or miss a key and have to take longer to find the right one. Not much can be done about the second problem but your input skills will get better with practice; I hold my phone in portrait mode and now have a pretty good idea of where the keys are but some may prefer landscape. As for the problem of voiceover's volume, the trick is to try to get voiceover to talk enough to allow you to raise the volume; if voiceover isn't talking and you use the up volume button, only the volume of your call will go up. Sometimes flicking up and down to keep voiceover reading the screen while you press the up volume control works; hopefully there will eventually be a way to turn voiceover up independently without getting voiceover to talk. also, as you become more familiar with the screen and learn where to look for the keypad button and the numbers, you'll be able to hear and distinguish these presses at a bit lower volume than initially. The fact that nothing is actually pressed until you double tap helps since it allows you to verify the press before committing to it (if you can hear it), but the downside is that doing the initial tap and then the double tap, even if you find the right key immediately, does slow down your responses slightly. There is no perfect solution for this problem; the best advice I can give is to find a number or two you can call for practice.

Hth.

--
Cheryl
"Let the words of my mouth,