[macvoiceover] Re: iPhone - Sync Problems

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:00:30 -0400

Restore the iMac or iPhone or both? I don't recall seeing a restore for the phone anywhere but it may be there somewhere.

cdh
On Jul 30, 2009, at 8:35 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

I do not think contacts on your iphone will populate your mac but perhaps you need to go into advanced and make sure the checkbox is checked. also, you might want to do a restore incase something else is corrupted.

On Jul 30, 2009, at 8:23 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

Hi,

I do not know if this is an iPhone, an iPhone/VO, an iMac or an iMac/ VO problem. Last night, for the first time, I synchronized my iPhone with our iMac 24. I selected not to look at ring tones but did elect to change the library with which the iPhone was to sync with.

In the iPhone settings dialogue in iTunes, I changed a few things (almost all in the Music tab) and let the process start. After a while I would get an error that a program that I think is called Mobile Services Helper (or something very similar) had exited unexpectedly, "Ignore, Send to Apple, Restart," which reminded me an awful lot of "abort, retry, ignore" back in the DOS days.

I then went to the software update menu item in iTunes (after a few restarts) and found that I had not updated iTunes, Safari and a handful of things I didn't care much about. I let the installation procede and the Mac, as expected, restarted.

I reattached the iPhone and iTunes, as expected, came up. A standard sync resulted in the same process crashing. Then (after a few more reboots), I started eliminating options to isolate the problem. In iTunes, when things seemed hung, I saw in the LCD space that it was synchronizing Contacts. I unchecked contacts from the sync list and everything started to acted as I would have expected and a ton of music moved onto my phone but the contacts on my phone did not populate the empty Address Book on the iMac.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm not important or useful enough to sign up for MobileMe as its cost outstrips the usefulness of near immediate synchronization.

Happy Hacking,
cdh