[macvoiceover] hopefully not off topic

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 08:45:42 -0700

I'm interested in running Mac and Windows on a new Mac, and I'm leaning
towards the BootCamp solution. But the question occurred to me: is it
possible to have Windows installed on an external hard drive and then
boot up the Mac and tell it you want to boot off of that drive rather
than off the internal one? The reason I ask is simple. I'm thinking
strongly of a Macbook Air, whose internal storage capacity maxes out at
512gb, and that for a hefty price. Seems to me, I could be ok with
256gb and the Mac stuff, including data, since I have iTunes match and
wouldn't need my music stored locally, and just do Windows off of an
external drive. But is that possible? If this is off topic, I
appologize in advance.

Mary