[macvoiceover] Re: getting windows out of your head:

  • From: Dan Eickmeier <va3ets@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 18:30:30 -0500

Yeah I definitely have to commend Apple for putting accessibility into a mainstream product. This is really the first computer that we could walk up to in a store, or use at a friends house, and that sorta thing, without having to install any additional software to get access to it.

On Feb 3, 2009, at 6:08 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:

On Feb 3, 2009, at 4:24 PM, E.J. Zufelt wrote:

Access technology will always lag behind main stream technology.

Not on osx it doesn't.
This is one of those get windows out of your head things David was talking about. If a program is designed properly (and on osx, that's a lot simpler to do than in windows) the applications the sighted folks use are the same exact ones (same interface and all) we use, and without any special spoonfeeding by the screen reader. This is the power of the mac, and as soon as the rest of the blind community figures this out, there is going to be one mass migration over to osx.
(Ok there probably won't be, but darnit, it should happen)
There hasn't been another mainstream company in history working as hard as apple is to bring us the same mac experience sighted folks receive. And the reason is because apple works with developers, and even has an entire guide on their site explaining what access is, and why the developers should pay attention to it. Just about every developer knows these guidelines exist, even if they haven't personally read them, and the reason is because of apple's insistence that their development tools make developers aware of access technology.

I think I have a new slogan...

Don't lag behind in access technology, use a mac.
Thank you for that Mr. Zufelt, I shall add it to my mac pages immediately.