[macvoiceover] Re: found a demo of read iris pro from the developers

  • From: Josh de Lioncourt <overlord@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:13:37 -0800

Hi Jacob,

Well then, it must be a problem with VueScan. I don't do much OCR, so I've never delved deeply into all this, but am considering doing some now. I've got ReadIris's demo up and running, but haven't made much headway yet. WIll keep playing with it. It does work with the LIDE70, thankfully.

Josh de Lioncourt
Mac-cessibility: http://www.Lioncourt.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lioncourt

"The rich declare themselves poor,
"And most of us are not sure,
"If we have too much,
"But we'll take our chances,
"'cause God stopped keeping score."
Praying for Time--George Michael

On Jan 30, 2009, at 5:06 PM, Jacob Schmude wrote:

Hi Josh
No, the driver does not specify Intel, but it is. I've not used the Lide 70 (it's probably the only Lide model I've not personally used), but I checked with someone I know who has, and the driver from Canon's site is indeed universal. Don't let the installer put you off, read iris itself is much better than the installer. I agree, though, the way they present both themselves and the first impressions of the installer would not lead one to think too highly. These people could learn a bit about product polish.

On Jan 30, 2009, at 19:27, Josh de Lioncourt wrote:

Hi Jacob,

I'm not entirely sure the answer to that. I was going by posts on multiple support forums, including Apple's, that claimed that the lack of an Intel driver was indeed the problem. Canon's download for the Mac drivers for the LIDE70 does not specify whether or not it is PPC, Intel, or Universal, (i.e. both.)

As for ReadIris, the fact that they haven't updated the installer does not boost my confidence, but I'll try it out with my Canoscan LIDE70 and see what ticks.

Josh de Lioncourt
Mac-cessibility: http://www.Lioncourt.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lioncourt

"Beauty was a savage garden, so why should it wound him that the most despairing music is full of beauty?"
        The Vampire Lestat--Anne Rice

On Jan 30, 2009, at 3:40 PM, Jacob Schmude wrote:

Hi Josh
Yes, the installer must be run as an administrator. As it is an older carbon app it will not handle the automatic escolation needed. Has Canon not released an Intel driver, or is Vuescan telling you it cannot find one? I ask because Canon has released intel drivers for just about every Lide model, and I'd be surprised if the 70 was not among them. Sometimes there are other driver issues that cause Vuescan to report that there is no Intel driver, and you may be encountering one of these issues rather than actually lacking a driver.

On Jan 30, 2009, at 18:03, Josh de Lioncourt wrote:

I have a CanoScan LIDE70. The problem is that Canon hasn't made an Intel driver that I can find, and VueScan is incapable, despite what its pages say, of using the PPC driver that Canon does provide under Rosetta.

On further reflection, I wonder if the RedIris installer only works if you're an administrator. I'm going to give that a shot and see.

Josh de Lioncourt
Mac-cessibility: http://www.Lioncourt.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lioncourt

"The rich declare themselves poor,
"And most of us are not sure,
"If we have too much,
"But we'll take our chances,
"'cause God stopped keeping score."
Praying for Time--George Michael

On Jan 30, 2009, at 2:53 PM, Jacob Schmude wrote:

Hi there
No, the installer isn't all that accessible, it's one of those old Carbon-based apps :(. One would think they'd revamp their installer or just use a standard pkg file. I've never had it crash at the end like that, perhaps something is wrong with the demo version? The program itself is much, much more accessible than its installer, being a fully cocoa-based application. As far as vuescan goes, what scanner are you trying to use it with?

On Jan 30, 2009, at 17:47, Josh de Lioncourt wrote:

The installer is not terribly accessible, but I managed to get through it by using the mouse a lot. However, at the end, the installer crashes with an error message. Not terribly impressive.

I've not been able to get VueScan working with my scanner yet, either. Disappointing.

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
        --Douglas Adams