[macvoiceover] Re: editing the name of a signature and deciding which one is the default

  • From: Ron J. <ganahee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 01:47:28 -0600

Hi John,

I saw both the messages, related to this topic, and thought I'd see if I could dink around with things a bit, and shed some light on the subject.

When you're in the Signatures pane of Mail, you need to create signatures for each specific account you have. Mail's help says that you can drag signatures from "All Signatures", into the account you want them for, but I've tried doing this with VO's keyboard-based drag and drop functionality, only to end up having to force-quit Mail, as it becomes unresponsive.

If you examine the Signatures pane, you notice there's a toolbar, a Signatures List, a Names List, the text of the signature, buttons for adding & removing signatures, a checkbox for matching message font, a popup menu for selecting a signature, a checkbox for where to place the signature, and the Help button.

Editing the name of a signature is simple. If it exists, simply use VO to navigate to it, and once on its name, single-click on it, by using VO-Shift-Spacebar. (Numpad Commander 5). If no name exists, simply press the "New Signature" button (VO-Spacebar), and the VO cursor will automatically be focused on the new name, ready for typing. Simply enter the new name, and whatever was there should be deleted.

As you create new signatures, you'll notice that the popup menu, I mentioned earlier, becomes populated with the entries in the list - the first signature you created, being the "Default" one. If you use VO-Spacebar to activate this menu, you'll notice that your first signature is the one selected, but if you use VO-Up/Down arrow keys, you'll see your choices: None, Each signature (in the order in which you created them), At Random, and In Sequential Order. Whichever one of these you select, becomes the default for any, and all, messages you send, using a particular account. You can, of course, change this at the time you create a new message, but, if you want a default signature attached to all your messages, this popup, in the signatures pane, is where to do it. If you wish to have no default signature, select "None" from this popup.

Yes, it's a bit different than Tiger's Mail, but it appears to be self-explanatory, and really not all that hard to do. Assigning existing signatures to new accounts seems to be the only real problem. If someone figures out how we can do this, though, I'm all ears!

Hope this explanation made sense? If you, or anyone else, needs further clarification, I'll be glad to see what I can do.

        Take care!

Ron

On Dec 17, 2007, at 12:25 PM, John Panarese wrote:

Hi John,

I have not figured out how to edit a signature name either. In terms of assigning a signature or two to an account, you can't make it the default for all accounts. Also, you have to set both up for the specific account and then when you send a message or reply to one, there should be a popup menu with either one. I think the first one you create is the default. However, I am no expert with this aspect of mail and am basing this on my experiences with signatures.

Take Care

John Panarese

On Dec 17, 2007, at 7:52 AM, John Hess wrote:

Good morning to all. I have crated two signatures which i would like to use. I can't figure out the following. First, when I name a signature how do I change it's name if I want too. Next, How in the account preferences do I decide which one is the default? The button that shows choose signatures is dimmed. I notice that there are two choices in the table. one is all signatures and one is the name of my e-mail account which is GMail. If I select all signatures I see the two that I created in the signatures table but the popup that says choose signature is dimmed. If I select the gmail account then nothing shows up under the signatures table. Thanks. Hmmm, should't there be a signature here? Oh wait, there should be but I can't get it to work....

Ron J. | AKA Ganahee

"For millions of years, mankind lived, just like the animals. Then something happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination - we learned to talk."

From the MD "The Division Bell", the track "Keep Talking".