[macvoiceover] Re: did you all get my question?

  • From: Shaun Jones <vashaun.jones@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:19:52 -0400

Why are you trying to open the volume? Can't you just right arrow over while in column view? If it says busy, just wait a sec and see if it stops freezing. If it persist then eject the volume and try plugging it directly into the computer. I use firewire 800 now, but when I used USB and a hub I got the same thing. Is it a powered hub or a stand alone one?

On Jul 15, 2008, at 9:51 AM, Chris Gilland Desktop wrote:

<sunbannA.gif>

Just making sure my question earlier got to the list. I am having issues with the finder, especially in ITunes. Basicly, that now formatted 300gb drive is going into the u s b of my computer. Well, actually, it's in a 7port u s b hub, which then is running into my u s b on the actual tower. I know the u s b ports are not bad though as I have switched things around to see. That's one a the first things I did. Anyway, if I go down on the desktop to mm: selected volume, then either do vo space, or command o, it opens in a finder window, no issue. The thing is, no matter which view I'm in, icon, list, or collumn, btw, collumn is my preference, but any how, when I go to the browser payne, and then interact with it, my finder totally craps the bed. I keep hearing voice over saying, finder is busy. Busy, busy, busy, ding, ding, ding, busy, command w won't close the window either. All I can do is an option command escape, and do a force quit, and tell the finder to relaunch. then, that closes the finder window putting me back on the desktop. Of corse, if I command o again on that mounted volume, the same thing happens. Yeah, I most certainly have tried turning off v o and then turning it back on. That really doesn't do anything. The problem still persists. I even have ejected and powered down the drive, then even powered it back up, and let it remount, and that didn't work either. Remember, this drive is designed for u s b 2.0, but, I only have 1.0 on the motherboard, although, I'd not think that would matter that terribly much. Yeah it'll be slower, but it still shouldn't lock. Now! Here is the, odd thing: instead a hitting command o on the volume from the desktop, if! instead, I do command n for a new finder window, then select it in the side bar, and then vo right over to the browser collumn view, and then interact with that, then! it works like a charm! In ITunes, if I do command o, it brings the add to library box up, but after going to Chris Gilland's Power Mac G4 AGP Graffics in the popup button, then going over to the browser item, if I interact with it, it locks with the stupid busy thing again. Command period'll get me out of there, and close that dialog but still! Man, I know this thing's only a 500mhz system, power pc G4, but, man! should Tiger really be that! stupidly unstable? I think since I got this thing, I've had so many issues, I've had to reinstall the o s at least 3 times already. This is becoming rediculous. To the man or woman who gave me this system, don't worry, I won't say your name or company, more than to say, I know you're on this list. I forgot your company's number though, so I need you to call me please or have a mac technitiondo so as soon as possible. Bless yall's hearts, thank you again for the system. I love it, but, why does it have to be so unstable. I'm not trying to put blame on anyone here, but, this is totally wackid. ok, it's got 1.5gb of s d ram. That should be more than plenty. It's gotta 19 gig hard disk. Not very big, but, still more than plenty to run Tiger with no issue. It has a cd/dvd reader, no burner, unluckally, but, o well, again, I'm not complaining. I'm greatful I ghot what I did, but... I'm just batheled at all these issues. It's kind a making me wonder about this system. Again, I know it's not up to date as mucgh as I'd like it to be, but still, it's good enough that I feel I shouldn't be having all these issues. First it is ITunes locking, but again, we pretty well figured out why that was going on with the album artwork downloading, then, it determining gapless playback info. I still wonder if I can make it not do that. I hate having to hit command period each time I load ITunes just to get that stupid thing to quit so ITunes will be responsive. Once I get past that, it works fine, but it won't till I do that. I can't wait it out either, as for 14000 tracks, I let it go from like noon yesterday afternoon to about 3 this morning, and that thing was still pukin and choakin along. Yeah, I dono. I'm sorry if I sound really pestimistic about this system. I beg you all don't take it as such. Do not read between my lines here. Don't mistaken me. I absolutely love this system. Once I got it at my door and opened the box and the reality hit me that I wasn't cheated like I'd been before so many times, I really had my very own macintosh, I mean it when I say: I was so touched that I literally bursted in tears. That was one of the nicest, most generous things anyone has ever done for me, and I will charish this system for eternity, but, can someone give me a hand with these stability issues? I'd prefer talking to someone over either skype, or over the phone, or msn messenger. one of the 3. E-mail's great, but you only can accomplish so much at a time that way. Being I have today all pretty well to myself, I'd really like to get to the bottom of all this, so that I can begin to really enjoy this system. Anyone willing to help me out, can try, but quite honestly, I'd prefer! someone who has used Macs for at least several years who knows their system quite decently. I mean, no offense to any of you all, again, I say, listen to me. I am not meaning this rudely, I appreciate any and all help, but, in all do respect, for those like me who're just now learning, I'm not saying don't take a stab at this, again, don't get me wrong here in the context that this is meant, and normally, fine, I'd let you help me, and I still will! even now, but just know: I would frankly feel more at ease talking to someone via voice, not via text, for one, and B, I'd feel a lot better actually audibly showing someone the issues I am having, and letting them help me trouble shoot, based on them being fairly decent at things. Really if you have no clue, it's probably not worth my time or your's trying to speculate, but if you think you may have an idea even if not an idea. Even just an inkling of an idea of theory, then let me know. I am 100% flexable, and willing to hear any one hash out with me, what they think may be going on. Yeah, i have all the latest updates, including safari3. I know yall said not to do that, but frankly, it doesn't seem to be working too too bad for me.

Anyway, gonna go hop in the shower, but hopefully when I get out, one of yall'll have written me back.

If any a yall wanna call me, I do not on the net publish my home number, however, my cell's floating all over the place. Here is my cell. if you call and get my v m, it's probably cause I am still in the shower, should be out in about 45 minutes from writing this mail, but, if you don't get me, just leave an msg with your name and number, and I'll either call you right back, or you can try me again in about 15 mins after the initial call. anyway, the number is:

704-819-9140

I hope to hear from one of yall, if not a lotta yall.

also, here is my skype name:

chris28210

I have issues getting add requests from folks on msn, don't know why, but, so, please if you wanna go that way, give me your msn i d and let me be the one to add you.

Chris.