[macvoiceover] Re: converting text to audio.

  • From: Ian Edwards <ianedwards42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 07:53:00 -0600

The Mac itself will also do this. Select the text and use the context menu, or
I think also the edit menu, to find the option. I don't know how it works with
larger blocks of text, but I've done it for smaller ones. You use the default
system voice for output, which is set in system preferences under sound. Good
luck, I can give step by step instructions later today, but it's pretty easy to
find by poking around.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 7, 2015, at 12:06 AM, Ronald Johnson <ganahee@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

There are 2 apps which immediately come to mind for doing just this very
thing:

1. SayIt

2. Text2Speech PRO

Both apps can be gotten from the Mac App Store. Text2Speech PRO is $3.99,
and will save to both AIFF and MP3. You can adjust voice, speaking rate,
etc. You can’t change the sample rate, or bit rate, but for listening to
text, like listening to an audio book, you don’t necessarily need CD-quality,
stereo sound - in fact, Text2Speech PRO is designed for people who want to
read text files on the go. SayIt is $1.99, and will allow you to paste any
length text into it, for outputting to either AAC, for exporting to iTunes,
or an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, or AIFF, for further editing and
conversion.

For your purposes, you might actually find Text2Speech PRO a better fit,
as you can have the app read in the files, preview how the output will sound,
then output to your desired location. I believe, in the preferences, you can
tell the app to automatically import into iTunes after conversion.

I use both apps here, on my MacBook Pro, under the El Capitan Public beta,
and they work well.

HTH?

Ron

Ron J. | AKA Ganahee

"For millions of years, mankind lived, just like the animals. Then something
happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination - we learned to talk."

From the MD "The Division Bell", the track "Keep Talking".

On Sep 7, 2015, at 12:36 AM, Singing Sparrow <sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would like to turn some text files i have to audio files using the mac.
Is this at all possible?
I mean so a person could play them on an external player like an mp3 player,
or burn the resulting audio to a cd is this possible and if so how can i do
this?

with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface
at //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover