[macvoiceover] Re: apple mac accessibility?

  • From: Josh de Lioncourt <overlord@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:27:46 -0700

In the 1980's, Apple 2 computers were accessible with hardware synthesizers for TTS and a couple of screen readers, most notably Textalker from APH. The Echo line of synths and Slotbuster were probably the two most popular hardware text-to-speech options, the former being made by Street Electronics.

When Mac came along, visually impaired users had access through a screen reader called outSpoken, made by Alva, which was an excellent solution. I used it for several years, and even used the Windows version for a while.

Hope this brief history helps.

On Jun 16, 2009, at 8:13 AM, Josh wrote:

Hello

Ok I have a question. On the apple website it says they have a 20 some year history of accessibility. So, how did blind people use apples before Voice over came along?

Josh

Join me on klango at www.klango.net visit and sign my petition at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/coda1234/petition.html
and visit my blog at: http://jkenn337.klango.net