[macvoiceover] Re: accessible yahoo mail

  • From: John Panarese <tvii@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 11:38:58 -0500

I had the same curiosity as well. It sounds like someone went to the far extreme to "accommodate". Yes, if the site is built properly, it should not require anything special. I am confused about this.

Take Care

John Panarese

On Dec 2, 2007, at 9:30 AM, Travis Siegel wrote:

Ok, now I'm confused.
Assuming a web page is built properly, and assuming folks have a screen reader, doesn't that already make the service accessible to the blind?
What is this special version that is usable for the blind?
This isn't a bad thing on the surface, but it kind of sends the wrong message. It seems to indicate that blind users require a special version of *any* web site in order to use it. We all know this is *not* the case, but folks who don't know better may draw this conclusion. Someone who has tried this service, please fill us in on what yahoo has done to make this service so-called accessible to the blind. I myself refuse to use yahoo for anything, so somebody else will need to report on this, since I won't.
Please let us know what the deal is here.

On Dec 1, 2007, at 8:04 AM, MaryLee Perkins wrote:

Here is the text from a Nov 22 article. I'm going to get my students to try it.
MLP
Yahoo! Mail for visually impaired users

Posted Nov 22nd 2007 5:00PM by Chris Gilmer
Filed under: Business, Developer, Internet, E-mail, Yahoo!

Yahoo! has added a new feature to Yahoo! Mail that will make the webmail application more accessible to visually impared users.

Yahoo!'s R&D team in India has been developing Yahoo! Mail Classic to be accessible to everyone. The new developments include visually impaired access to mail on all standard screen readers with text to speech, sound icons and special Braille output.

Yahoo! has a team of accessibility experts that ensure their products benefit all users with disabilities which is expected from a company their size. However, where is Google? Are they working on a version of Gmail for the visually impaired? People out there are interested. IBM has been working on a special web browser for the visually impaired under the code name A-Browser.
=