[macvoiceover] accessible iphone user guide now available on the web from apple:

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:20:00 -0400

All;

Apple have provided an html version of the user guide for the IPhone which is now readable on the IPhone at the link below.

http://help.apple.com/iphone/voiceover/

Next, web browsing with Safari on the Mac or the iPhone is quite
comparable, and in my opinion, mostly superior, to Windows screen
readers. After using a Mac, I have found Windows web browsing to be
slow and frustrating, particularly since I use Groups mode on the
Mac. :)

No OS or screen reader is perfect for everyone. VoiceOver and the Mac
are my options of choice, even after working as a Jaws script
developer and for Humanware in the past, among other related
employment in access tech. I've been able to use my Mac for far, far
more tasks than I could ever perform productively under Windows, and
it is a much more enjoyable experience. :)

Check out the Mac-cessibility Site at the following link for lots of
useful info on both the iPhone and the Mac, VoiceOver, and other Apple
accessibility products.

http://www.lioncourt.com

Josh de Lioncourt
        …my other mail provider is an owl…

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lioncourt
Music: http://stage19music.com
Mac-cessibility: http://www.Lioncourt.com
Blog: http://lioncourtsmusings.blogspot.com
GoodReads: http://goodreads.com/Lioncourt

On Jul 16, 2009, at 10:35 PM, Victor wrote:

Hi Jessica,

I realize that one can't compare the abilities of one to the other,
however, when I was speaking about the two, I was referring to
constants in screen readers, that is, their ability to read every
bit of text on the screen, whether it's Jaws, Window Eyes or
Voiceover, the two have that one thing in common, that is they take
the text on the screen, and present it to the user in a way that the
voice can interpret it and read it out loud to the user.

I agree, I may very well be an instant convert to the Apple side of
things.

I actually found myself selling MAC's to a friend/client of mine
today while I was visiting her.

I was showing her my I Phone, and I told her about the Greek
synthesizer on the phone.

I switched the synthesizer to the Greek synth, and the entire phone
switched to another language, icons and all.

Granted, there were several icons in Greek she didn't know what they
were, but she, like me, was completely surprised at the ease this
device switched from one language to the other and vice versa at the
flick of a switch, no pun intended.  LOL.

Suffice it to say, if MAC's voiceover is every bit as capable as
voiceover is on the I Phone, then I know for a fact that this person
will be purchasing a MAC in the near future.

Having said that, I do realize that there were some shortcomings,
but the pros more than outweighed the cons for her, and I, to be
truthful, and I never thought I would say that about any Apple
product.  LOL.

Heck, the darn thing even started talking in Portuguese, which is my
native tongue, and, I understood what was being said, which is way
more than I thought any synthesizer would ever do for me.

I thought that when I went blind, I would lose my ability to read in
Portuguese, and with Jaws, I wasn't far from the truth.

I have tried numerous times to read in Portuguese, and just couldn't
understand the synth or what it read, no matter how much I slowed
the speech rate down.

When I heard the I Phone read Portuguese, and clearly, I was
intrigued, to say the least.

I can pretty much guarantee that I'll be playing with the Portuguese
version of this phone in the next coming weeks.  LOL.

Victor