[macvoiceover] Re: a mac for college?

  • From: Richie Gardenhire <rhire1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 06:30:14 -0900

For starters, you can install Windows, provided you need it; however, there aren't too many things, I would think, you can't do on a Mac by itself. Secondly, the Mac is a fairly stable operating system, and in my limited experiences, I found that programs run smoothly because the operating system doesn't take up as much of your computer's resources as does Windows. If you are running Windows on a Mac Mini, you will need enough memory to allow for virtual expansion. I have a Mac Mini, fully loaded with 160GB disk storage on my hard drive, 1.8GHZ, dual core processor, and 2.5GB RAM. I think the newer Mac Minis will have a significantly larger storage capacity, and if you can get it, go for it. There are up sides, on the other hand, to a Mac Book, two of which, you have a monitor and you can run it on battery power, if you need portability. I would carefully consider the suggestions of others so that you make the choice that best fulfills your college needs. Good luck on your choice of machines. Richie Gardenhire, Anchorage, Alaska.

On Jan 5, 2010, at 5:10 AM, Josh wrote:

Hi,

In order to sufficiently justify it to bvs, can you give me more details about the advantages of a mac for college versus a windows pc laptop windows netbook or windows desktop? I know that I want a mac, and a mac will be really cool to have, and learning the mac, and Linux, will make me more employable...but if there are any advantages with using one for college let me know.

Josh Kennedy jkenn337@xxxxxxxxx
my blog is at http://jkenn337.klangoblog.net (updated frequently). Tired of Microsoft Windows and paying thousands for screen-readers? try out NVDA, get a mac--, nvda--for Windows, or try out and switch to grml, Ubuntu, Vinux, or knoppix-adriane Linux desktops. Knoppix ubuntu and vinux-cli-max are the most accessible for beginners. also try vinux-gui and encourage those at www.cherrypal.com to use windows-xp and nvda knoppix-adriane Vinux-cli-max or grml so all blind people can have an accessible computer.