[macvoiceover] Re: Windows on the Mac

  • From: John Hess <johnythehess@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:41:33 -0500

Good evening Rebecca. The big thing I run on windows is office apps and some audio editing software. REad Iris works well although for some reason it needs to take two passes for each page. I have found this on two epson scanners On the mac side I prefer mail, internet with safari, skype, and of course itunes. I do use it for watching DVD's as well. I try to move as much as I can to the mac because it just works. I don't lose focus on items like in windows, it always boots to the desktop and if I ever have any problems 99% of the tie it's pilot error. I have also taught the mac and those who start with it run with it and do amazing things. When I teach I tell people to imagine that this is the first they have ever heard of a talking computer.

On Jan 22, 2008, at 9:32 PM, Keith Reedy wrote:

Hi Rebecca,

I don't use Windows on the MAC. I use my MAC all day long at work, but, I have had no need for Windows programs. However, some who use the MAC are required to use a Windows program for work and I am sure that there are other reasons.

OCR, I think that you will find Readiris useful.

Keith Reedy
On Jan 22, 2008, at 9:23 PM, Rebecca Bridges wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Please forgive my questions, as I am new to this list and have yet to purchase a Mac.

It seems that many of you run Windows on your Macs. Why have you chosen to do this? Are there programs that you use on a regular basis that work better with Windows than a Mac with VoiceOver? If so, which ones? Does anyone use a Mac without Windows?

Secondly, what program do you use for OCR?

Rebecca

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

John W. Hess & Barclay the WonderLab