[macvoiceover] Re: Where'd my network go?!

  • From: Travis Siegel <windowbridge@xxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 07:11:33 -0600

I don't talk to windows machines on my network (we have two of them, but they're not part of the network as far as I'm concerned, because we only use them for specifically windows related things, and we keep them off the mac servers, but in any case, I've discovered that in general, browsing the network for specific machines doesn't work quite as well as it probably should. So, what I do when I want to connect to another machine is to press command-k from the finder, typ in the ip address of the machine I want to connect to, then press enter. If the machine is behaving itself, a dialog then comes up asking me to log in. I haven't found any other to get this dialog, not even upon reboot, so give that a try and see if it works for you.

On Jan 29, 2008, at 10:17 PM, Buddy Brannan wrote:

Hey guys,

I know I have to be overlooking something very obvious here, so when you tell me what my problem is (I mean, specifically, this network problem, not any other kind), please keep your "Duh!" to a dull roar? Thanks. :-)

So, OK. From the finder, when browsing my network (cmd-shift-k), I get no computers. None, nada, zilch. However, on the Windows machines, all the computers, including the Mac, show up and can be accessed. I have file sharing on, and for the purposes of troubleshooting, the firewall is off. I have Windows sharing on, and, as I say, all the computers are visible from the Windows machines, but none are visible from the Mac. I checked, and the correct workgroup (Workgroup) appears to be set on the Mac as well.

Any ideas what I've overlooked?
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 746-4502 or 888-75-BUDDY