[macvoiceover] Re: Web Browsing.

  • From: Travis Siegel <tsiegel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 10:12:35 -0600

On Feb 23, 2011, at 7:18 AM, ashley wrote:

Yes, I agree. THey have done a great job of making web browsing accessible. The only part I don't like, is having to hold down so many keys to get things done. I mean... holding down control, option, command, H just to move to the next heading, in my opinion, is overkill. Yes, you have the roter, but then you have to keep changing the roter settings.

If you haven't tried it, you should give the numpad commander a try. If you have a laptop w/o one built-in, or a keyboard that doesn't have one, you can get an external numpad for use with the computer. I have no issues with browsing web content, because I have assigned all of the web commands I use regularly to numpad keys, so browsing the web on my mac is even easier than it was under jaws on windows, because I simply hit my right/left/up/down arrows on the numpad to move around, home/end to get to the top/bottom, pageup/dn to get to the start/end of items/lines, and enter to click on links and the like. my plus key interact with items, and the minus key stops interacting. I also have star and slash setup to go forward and back, so I never have to lift my right hand off my number pad when I'm on a web page. I also have my numpad configured to do all sorts of other things too, depending on which modifier key I use. I.E. command-numpad functions are html specific commands, option-numpad commands are text movement commands, and so on. It's all very simple, quick, and easy to change if it doesn't suit me anymore. I suggest folks give it a try, I really think the numpad commander is one of those functions a lot of folks overlook, but it really can be a powerful tool if your use style can be integrated with it.