[macvoiceover] Re: VueScan and Readiris verses Abby Fine reader

  • From: Dan <keysjd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 07:39:20 -0800

Hello,
I have ABBY Fine Reader Express and this is how I use it.
I have an HP all-in-one printer scanner.
I use the HP scanning utility to scan all my material. Then I save it as a pdf
file.
Then I open the file with ABBYY and it does the OCR work. And I must say that
it is really well done. I've not seen anything else that does OCR as well as
ABBYY Express.
Then after the file has been saved as an .rtf file, I have ABBY set to open the
document after completed. and there it is in TextEdit, the Word Processor that
comes with OS X.
I wish there was a full blown version of ABBYY but there isn't. So that is why
you need a scanning utility of some kind. But again, I must say that I am
really pleased with the results from ABBYY.
Here's an example of where it really shines.
My bank statements are in pdf bitmapped format. So normally I am unable to read
them with Preview. However, ABBYY Express took care of that problem quite
nicely.
Dan
keysjd@xxxxxxxxxxx