[macvoiceover] Re: Voice over turning off

  • From: Ian Edwards <ianedwards42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mac Voiceover list Mac Voiceover List <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 08:57:08 -0700

There are a few of us with this problem, for some the screensaver being on or
off doesn’t seem to matter.

When Apple support walked me through troubleshooting a couple of years ago what
we finally came up with was an issue with my user account. No clue what the
issue was, just that setting up a new user account on the machine seemed to fix
the problem. At least I couldn’t replicate it with the new user account.

Now the question is, did I set up and work with the new user account? Answer,
never actually got around to it. I assume it is still on my computer, but I
never got around to actually setting it up as my default and using it. Just
plain never got around to it, as other stuff kept jumping up the priority list.

My machine is a late 2011 Macbook Air, most of the people who reported this
problem seemed to be Air users.

One thing to note, check to see if Voiceover is actually off, or if it is just
the speech output. If you have sighted assistance, the Voiceover screen
elements should still be visible, and the trackpad will behave in the Voicover
manner. If you have no sight available, either yours or a helper’s, try
manipulating the keyboard and listening for the typical sound effect cues. If
this is indeed the case, speech won’t appear as disabled in the Voiceover
utility, it just isn’t working. disabling and re-enabling speech doesn’t seem
to fix it, only the turning on off and on of Voiceover tself.

Hope this ramble hasbeen helpful.