[macvoiceover] Voice Recognition

  • From: Phil Scovell <phil.scovell@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mac Voice Over <MacVoiceOver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 17:02:56 -0600

One main reason the push me to buy a Mac has to do with the voice recognition
software. My hands have been steadily growing weaker for several years and I
figured using voice recognition might make up the difference some day.
Unfortunately, I have had a voice problem for two or three years so my voice is
normal at times and scratchy at others. I noticed that it worked, regardless
of my voice quality, using my iPhone and siri. So, I was happy to discover
just how good the Mac voice recognition really was once I bought a microphone
and got the software set up. The other day, I was writing childhood stories
about being with my grandfather and the fun I had when he took me places as a
little guy. I shared it, once finished, on one of my mailing lists. It was
quite long but I dictated the whole thing. I made quick, but short,
corrections to the text as I dictated from the keyboard but otherwise, I
dictated the whole story. The more I dictate emails and articles I write, the
faster I am able to think and often dictate 3 and 4 lines, or sentences, of
text before stopping. It reads it back when I stop talking and often, there is
not a single mistake in the text itself. I add functions and things like
quotes, too, and it plugs those symbols in right where I have spoken them. So,
if you haven’t tried it, do so. It sure is awkward at first but as I said, the
more I do it, the easier and quicker it becomes.

Phil.